• Show
Clear All

• Restrictions or recommendations about XRays, CAT & MRI

Hello everybody

I'm looking for information about restrictions or recommendations about:

- X Rays.
    - CAT Scan
    - MRI

How much radiographies should be indicated in a year to a patient ( 4 ? ).
    I read that X Rays should be taken straight to the back of the patient but in my daughter's case always were taken by the frontal side. How it was in your cases?
    I know that one CAT scan is a lot of radiations anyway, there's restrictions or recommendations about having CAT´s scan more than once. Gaby had one and I wish to be alert on this.
    And finally if there's restrictions or recommendations about having MRI.
    I'll love to hear your opinions and how you were advised on this matter.
    Exist any kind of test to determine if a patient has excess of radiations?

Praying for everybody in NSF

Carlos

ct scans

Hello Carlos!
    You'r very wise to question radiation exposure from CT scan. Yes, CT scans do emit more radiation than normal x-rays. Experts are urging radiologists to turn down the radiation dial when performing a CT scan on a child. A typical ct scan exposes a child to six rems of radiation. But the dial can be adjusted so that the dosage is halved, AND the ct scan will still be effective.

I think I remember reading that one CT scan is equal to 40 or 60 "normal" x-rays. Our doctors recommend no more than one every five years. But everyone's circumstances are certainly different!

Anxious to read replies to your other questions.
    Pat

Comment

Hi Carlos,

This is what I've read on Cat Scans:

"A single CAT scan can expose a patient to the equivalent of 500 chest X-rays. We don't really know the exact risk of developing cancer related to exposure to radiation used in diagnostic test but we know that there is definitely a risk! This risk is justified in getting scans on patients who have specific complaints but I can't see how we can justify getting regular scans on perfectly healthy people who have no symptoms, especially when there is unlikely to be any benefit. What's more is that the CAT scanners were developed before 1976 when the FDA first began requiring that medical devices be proven to be safe and effective. Just because everyone uses CAT scanners does not necessarily mean that there is no risk. Because of the unknown risk of cancer developing later in life pediatricians have begun to call for fewer CAT scans in cases of head injury that result in bringing a child to the ER. When a scan is not medically indicated it's best not to do it. "

As for full spine x-rays, I think they have the equivalent of 8 chest x-rays. I have requested the P/A rather than A/P full spine x-ray and they always make a BIG STINK at radiology. The three times that I insisted, they said it was against hospital policy. They treated me like a trouble maker. U*N*B*E*L*I*E*V*A*B*L*E. I've also read that digital x-rays emit half the radiation because there is no need for the hard copy and the doctor can view the x-ray on the computer. Our hospital insists that they now use digital x-rays however they have NOT eliminated hard copies for full spine x-rays so what's their point ????!. Whenever we go for clinic appointments I have to haul around an enormous folder containing all the x-rays done to date. Let me tell you, it's quite embarrassing when I walk into the waiting room and other parents see me with a binder of x-rays and my child is only four years old.

As for MRI's there is not much written up on them except that there is no radiation involved. I have read of some children experiencing seizures during the MRI. Also, some MRI's require contrast solution and others don't so I don't know the implications if any. I think it's a really new technology and the long term effects (if any) won't be known for many years.

Celia
      Last edited by Celia; 10-07-2005, 08:29 AM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

cat scan

Thanks Celia & Pat

Is more clear for me now that a CT scan implicate a lot of radiations. I’m hopeful that our circumstances don’t make the need of another CT scan for Gaby.

greetings

Comment

however, do remember, no xray or ct scan is unnecessary if benefits outweigh risks

we are all exposed to natural radiation many more times higher then radiation from x rays, even more so when we fly (do not know exact figures)

still, will remember celia's approach for when my daughter needs her next xrays

gerbo

Comment

I don't know much about CAT Scans or the MRIs, but i do know that when taking an full spine xray, adolesents should be facing with their back to the xray machine. I had surgery a little over two years ago, and about a year after surgery we realized that the people in radiology were doing the xrays wrong. Because i'm an adolescent girl, facing the machine can have effects on the breast tissue. My doc said the radiation can actually stunt the growth of the tissue. The doc got extremely mad with the people in radiology, but my mom and i were wondering why the doc couldn't tell something was wrong from looking at the xray...so who knows how much radiation i have gotten just from facing the wrong way...
            ---Alicia---

Scolioisis surgery: 6/26/03
            We're coming back bigger and better than ever!
            <3 *NOLA* <3
            Sincere Thanks to all who donated to the hurricane relief funds!

Comment

facing with the back to the xray machine

Alicia, thanks for your post, i wasn't sure about of may capability of understanding the literature. I have say several times to the radiologist that I always read that the full spine X ray must be taken facing with the back to the Xray machine but they never agreed with me.

greetings

Comment

Working...
              X