Skydiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skydiving

I've posted on another thread (patients of Dr. Lieberman) and am contemplating surgery. I'm 35 with an S curve of 65 and 58 degrees (possibly more by now). However, I love skydiving. Has anyone been told that you can never do this after surgery? This might affect my decision. I went tandem my first time and have done 2 static line jumps. After 3 more static line jumps, I qualify for accelerated freefall by myself. It's not a frequent hobby. I only intend to do 1 jump per year! My dr appt isn't till 2/16, so I'll ask the dr then if, after I'm totally fused, if 1 jump per year might be permissible.

I'd appreciate some input/opinions. Thanks!

I used to skydive years ago, before I had surgery, and haven't done it since.

You certainly wouldn't want to skydive for at least 1 year after surgery, until your fusion is solidified--some surgeons would advise waiting 2 or 3 years, just to be safe.

After that, it's reasonably safe to skydive but unless you have a very short thoracic fusion, you'll find it difficult to arch your back while diving, thus giving you poor form. Also, landing on your standard sport chute will not impact your spine much, but if you have to land on your reserve (happened to me) the impact force is much stronger and this -may- cause a more serious injury.

With all that said, if you have progressing curves in the 58-65 degree range and you're only 35, surgery will probably become necessary for you eventually. And the earlier in your life you do it, the easier it will be to recover, and the better the result you will get. I understand the fear of having to give up a hobby you enjoy (and you may not have to permanently), but avoiding pain and deformity later in life seems to be more important.

Dave

Comment

Thanks

Thanks. I appreciate your comments. That's what I was hoping. I don't mind waiting several years and I'd rather have the surgery done sooner than later.

Comment

Hi...

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor tells you. I would personally never do something that puts so much impact on the discs above and below my fusion, but I know people who have done really high impact sports and haven't seemed to suffer as a result.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I can telll you that 15 years ago when I had my surgery the doctor told me that skydiving was the only thing I would not be allowed to do after surgery. He later added bungee jumping to it! I have a harrington rod T2-L3.

Comment

resurrecting an old thread!

Just got invited to skydive by someone I haven't seen since before my surgery. That and parasailing were the two things I didn't get to before I went under the knife. Since I am definitely healthier and stronger than before; I'm wondering if one tandem jump would be OK - I don't think I would take it up as a hobby.

I'm planning on asking my Dr, too, but I'm living out of the country right now, so it was easier to post here first
            Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
            Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
            fusion T5-L3
            Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

Working...
            X