shooting pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shooting pain

My daughter is now almost 5 months post op. Yesterday she started experiencing sharp shooting pain in her lower back down her left leg. She's having trouble sitting, climbing stairs, and even walking with large strides. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
    Linda

I think it's common for most people without scoliosis to experience sciatica sometimes so for us it's just normal. I had it worse before the surgery, and now I have it on and off, sometimes had major episodes but with some exercises like walking and swimming, and taking anti inflammatories, it went away.

I would wait a few weeks if I was her, and if it doesn't pass see a PT to exercise and start taking meds.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

pains

I felt odd pains as I was healing. Sometimes it was just from over doing things ;other times it's nerves "waking-up" with a jolt. This lasted about 2 years-but I am older.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Aside from checking with her doctor, I would also research topics like sciatica on the internet and see if her symptoms match what is listed - if so, there is very good info available to help. God Speed!

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. Her trainer at school thought maybe it was sciatica. She does have a call in to her Dr. and is waiting to hear back. She has been jogging for about a month, and recently started light weight training, so I thought it could be a new exercise she's doing. I will research sciatica a bit.
          Linda

Comment

Working...
          X