impending surgery advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impending surgery advice

We were expecting our 13-year old daughter's spinal fusion surgery in late Nov/Dec and now it turns out that because of her "aggressive" curive, she's having posterior spinal surgery in only about 10 days (not much mental prep time for her or us). The hospital's taking care of the pre-op procedures like MRI, bending xrays, etc.
    If anyone has any suggestions concerning "must have" or "must do" for the hospital or things we should set up at home to make things a bit easier on the return, let me know. The hospital's about 90 miles from our home.
    Thanks!
    Kris

Hi Kris...

Though targeted more at adults, I have a "Preparing for Scoliosis Surgery" page on my website at:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kris,

If you go to the Adolescent & Teen forum - click on "Surgery", and on the 3rd "page" there is a thread titled "Medical Costs - Dr. Boachie" On a post dated 7/6/05 by "Susannajon" , she posted a list of pre and post op. suggestions that I think will be helpful when my son has surgery in Dec. One thing that I will mention now is: don't take any aspirin, nuprin, Aleve or ibuprofen for two weeks before surgery. Also, stop St. John's Wort, vitamin E, Ginkgo Bilboa, garlic, or anything else that thins the blood.

Also, one thing I have learned from talking with several parents is some of the kids had a difficult time with constipation after surgery (from narcotics and meds) so maybe minimizing red meat & dairy, & getting adequate fiber, fruits & veggies may be something to consider.

If you have any trouble finding the list, let me know and I can e-mail it or something (I printed it out). Good luck with everything, keep us posted if you have time - I will be praying for you and your daughter.

Renee

Comment

i was in hospital just under 3 months ago and would definitely recommend having the following:
        bendy straws (it's really hard to lift your head to drink, especially initially)
        because you have a daughter, stuff like lip balm and moisturiser, they made me feel so much better with little effort
        music to listen to

the other things are not so much what to take as advice in general:
        make sure you look after yourself too! while your daughter is asleep, or on too many drugs to miss you (sorry if that shocks you but it may well happen) go for a walk or get some rest yourself and be there when she's awake, that's when she really needs you
        the other thing is if she has to leave her bed/ward/room (eg for xrays) take water with you as she may well need some whilst you're away from "home"
        having a diary/guestbook is a really good idea. even when i was aware of my visitors and knew i'd remember them being there, they wrote me messages and it really helped
        it may be just me who was like this but be prepared anyways: your daughter may be quick tempered or grumpy, try not to take it personally (i'm sure you won't) and she also may not feel like doing much (i always turned down the offer of a magazine or book or tv in favour of sleep)

above all, remember that every day is progress and getting better. try to keep a positive outlook. i asked my parents and they said that looking after me wasn't as tough as they imagined (and they've been doing so for 11 weeks now) so stay strong and the best of luck. any questions feel free to ask
        diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
        braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
        fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
        Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
        scoliosis support forum

Comment

I think everyone else has covered everything, because the only thing I can think of to add is this: speak up for your daughter while in the hospital!!! If you feel her pain meds aren't taking care of her pain tell the doctor. Write done everything! I wrote down every dose of medication and what time it was given. I basically took care of my daughter's needs while in the hospital, but the one thing I did ask the nurses to do was to wash her hair for me the day before she went home. Since they can't shower usually for 10 days, washing the hair can be a challenge.

Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

Also, have you had a chance to inform the school about your daughters upcoming surgery? You will probably need to set up a 504 health plan for when she returns to school. Things like having an extra set of books - 1 at home/1 at school. Changing classes (maybe accompanied by a fellow classmate) a few minutes before bell rings to avoid crowded hallways, bathroom pass to be used anytime, modifications for PE and other school work, etc. As her surgery is scheduled so close, of course all the pre-op stuff is more important but at least the school can possibly start the paperwork now.

btw - is your daughter Karin? I believe I have "spoken" with her on Spinekids, she seems like a sweet girl.

Regards,

Renee

Comment

I really appreciate all the replies; I have written them down and it will really be helpful... Yes, my daughter is Karin and she's really learned a lot from that forum. We've called the school and they're very cooperative and will do whatever's necessary. We're hoping all will go well and we'll keep you posted.
              Kris

Comment

Get a body pillow. It is a spine patients best friend. You may want to get two of them. One for each side. Also, take extra pillows for the trip home. They come in handy.

Right now you are scared, but everything will be okay. There are a bunch of us here that have been there and done that. We are so relieved to be on the other side of surgery and see our kids doing so well. Yours will do great too. Some of us have more surgeries to go, but understand more now of what is going on and feel more confident in things.

My biggest suggestion is to be comfortable and confident in your childs doctor. God will take care of the rest.

Keep us all posted if you need anything. Someone will have a recommendation/suggestion for you.

'til later,
                Nikki

Comment

One more little thing I found helped during my daughter's 2 surgeries. I got the idea when she was in ICU after the 1st one and was so swollen from surgery and just didn't look like herself. I put all the pictures I had of her in my purse up on her night-stand. I wanted the doctors and nurses treating her to see her as a person, not just a patient!
                  It might just be my imagination, but it really helped (not only the hospital staff, but me as well!)
                  Good luck and our prayers are with you and your family!

Comment

picture

Hi!

I also put a picture of my daughter on the wall next to her hopsital bed. I picked the "goofiest" picture of her (blew it up to 8 x 10); you couldn't help but smile when you came in the room AND I knew she was "back" when she looked at me, then the picture and grimaced/grinned! Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X