Degenerative Disc Disease...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degenerative Disc Disease...

Does anyone have Degenerative Disc Disease? What about Hernitated Disc?
    If so, what have you done to help it (or) what do you plan to do?

Feel free to email me: askforken@aol.com

Ken...

The vast majority of people who have long scoliosis fusions, and just about everyone over the age of about 40, have DDD. Herniated discs are also relatively common in people with scoliosis and fusions, but I don't know the percentages.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

When you talk about long fusions...I am curious to how many fused vertabraes it would take to be considered a long fusion? I have 9 fused (T-9 to L5).

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

I don't think I've ever heard of a definition of a long fusion, but I think that nine vertebrae would certainly fit into the definition.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Disc

I have been in pain now for a little over a month...I've tried anti-inflammatory drugs, pain medicine, chiropractic, physical therapy, deep muscle massage...none helped and the latter 2 actually exasperated the problem. I plan to see my primary physician Monday...will let you know his suggestions. Right now there's limited use of my right arm/hand, constant pain, little sleep. I'm so thankful to read that there are others out there with my difficulty and I'm not just a freak of nature My chiro was worried however that if I didn't get the problem taken care of that it could lead to permanent nerve damage????

Always Smilin'
          Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
          pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
          pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
          right thoracic 57
          lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
          revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
          unsure of degrees at this point

Comment