Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulmonary restrictions in Kyphoscoliosis patients

Hello, everybody

I'm looking for information about tests for determining pulmonary restrictions in kyphoscoliosis patients. By the CAT and X rays of my daughter is clear that one lung have more space than the other. I wish to know how much serious this can be and how to determine the right function of both lungs.
    Any of you know about exercises or some therapy to improve the pulmonary capability of patients that could have pulmonary compression due to kyphoscoliosis. Our doc just told us that she could inflate globes.

thanks in advance

Hi Carlos...

I don't think there's any way to know how much pulmonary function has been lost by looking at x-rays. The way to tell is by going to a pulmonologist who will perform some tests.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Carlos!
      I agree with Linda, that the only way to tell, would be by seeing a pulmonologist. I have attached a picture of Megan's x-ray before her spinal fusion surgery, as you can see her lung was extremely compressed also.
      Hugs to you and your family
      Tracy
      Wife to Scott, the most incredible man God put on this earth, Mom to Joshua who is 16 1/2, Megan who is 11 with CP, seizure disorder, sleep apnea, coritcal visual impairment, non mobile, non verbal, and scoliosis, but the GREATEST blessing we could of ever hoped for,who had posterior spinal fusion surgery on July 19th, 2005, fused from neck to bottom and has the titanium union rod wired in place. and Jacob 3yrs.....Can't forget our16 mos old golden lab puppy, Molly.....

Comment

Pft

Hi Carlos. If you go and see a pulmonary physician, then most likely, you're daughter will have to have a pulmonary function test (PFT). PFTs are very helpful and non-invasive. All she has to do is to breath into a tube and a computer picks up on how much lung capacity she has. Hope this is helpful. Ross
        Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
        www.myspace.com/ross40728
        Had surgery on 9/20/04
        81* Scheuermann's Disease
        40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
        U Rod Inserted
        Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Hey Carlos,

They can actually determine pulminary finction through a fairly simple test which is run by a tech. They use a machine which the kids have to blow in at different times and in different ways. They wrap their mouth around a mouth piece and clamp the nose. Then they are asked to take a deep breath and blwo it out as hard as they can and continue the force even after there is no more air to blow out for 6 seconds. They are asked to pant like a dog into to tube with and then without pressure the machine applies. Things like that, simple, painless, and non invasive.

My daughter just went thourgh this last week. If this initial test shows compromise there may be additional testing, but I am not sure what that would entale. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions on what I described above......Lisa

Comment

pulmonary function test (PFT).

Hi

I'm planning to see a doctor that must be a pulmonologist the next week for asking about a pulmonary function test (PFT) for Gaby, as you described in yours post. Some months ago I ask for this and a doctor told me that such a test were posible to be made but they need to stop the function of one lung to see the function of the other. This condition don't like me at all and I just forget about it. Now I'll try again. I really hope that the required machine were not to much exotic and we could make this test here. Gaby is not having respiratory problems right now but i wish to be sure that hers lungs were working right or at least in tolerable circunstances.

Thanks and I'll talk about our results later.

greetings

Comment

Carlos, when my daughter (age 15) was at Shriners for her surgery, they used a est like the one you describe several times. They got a baseline prior to surgery, which showed her respiration to be normal, and the doctor basically said she must be athletic or a musician, because she had such good repiration. She plays sports and is definitely not a couch-potato. He said she should do well recovering from surgery and getting her lung capacity back again. She had anterior, posterior, and thoracoplasty. They deflated one lung to access the other side of her spine and reinflated it, so we were also informed of the possible decrease in lung capacity. Since she plays sports for fun, and is not heavily concerned about winning, etc., we decided to accept some limited lung capacity in order to achieve the other results of surgery. She had to breathe in that machine every 2 hours for the first few days post-op also, to demonstrate her lung capacity and I believe also to make sure her lungs remained clear to prevent pneumonia. I'm not sure if this is the same machine you are talking about. I watched her breathe into the machine sometimes and they did not have to use one lung at a time or anything. Keep us informed on your progress! Kris

Comment

PFT considerations

Hello

Recently we take to our daughter to the hospital and see her pulmonogist. I did ask by the PFT, the doctor say that the only problem to perform such a test is that Gaby is just 4 years old and they need her cooperation to make some exercises. The doctor told me that is only possible to have successful PFT in 6 -7 y/o patients and older. The doctor explain me that exists others tests for younger child but are not available in our hospital.
                But as Gaby is running all the time and she is not having any fatigue or breath problems. The doc opinion is that the lung compression shouldn't be so much critic and the other lung may be compensating the one compressed. So she (doc) just indicated us to change the antihistaminic treatment of Gaby because of the start of our mild winter she say that now she could use Loratadina.

I recently read that patients who are going to have VEPTER surgeries need to gain weight and in some cases the doctors recommends put them in oxygen for gain weight. The doctor told us that patients with breath restrictions used to be thin, because breath take much energy waste for them. This may explain the difficulties of Gaby to gain weight. But this doctor don't like so much the oxygen plan because she think it may develop others problems.

greetings

Carlos

Comment

Hi Carlos
                  When we had our pre-op assessment for Genevieve she was not able to do the lung function tests - she doesn't have the level of control needed. Instead they measured her oxygen saturation levels overnight while she was sleeping. This just involved strapping a small probe to her finger while a monitor recorded the levels over a continuos period of about six hours.
                  I don't know whether this might be an alternative for Gaby if she's too young for the normal tests.
                  Regards
                  Lorrie

Comment

Working...
                  X