Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awaiting surgery at 24 years old

Hi everyone!
    My name is Alex and have just learned that I will undergo the posterior/ anterior surgery in December. For some unknown reason, my curves have progressed 10 degrees each in the past year to an even 50/50. I'm terribly nervous about the procedure- it seems like I'm too old to have this done- (which I know isn't true.) Can anyone tell me of their experiences if they had the surgery in their twenties? I am also looking for any suggestions to help calm myself before the main event. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Alexandra

I had surgery at 26, unlike at 18 when they wanted me to but it was a wise choice to wait the longest I could since I didn't have that much pain until 26. That was 8 years ago, am now 34 and waiting now for third surgery for broken hardware.

I can only say that pain and recuperation is different for everybody, as nerves and the spine is complex and for me it was a very painful experience but when you know in advance that it takes time, rest, exercisises and determination, you get through it and it's better to be straighter. My only gripe was that the doctors weren't the most honest with me and told me that in a matter of a few months I should be done with the healing but it isn't so, it took me about two years to really heal from all of it and it's always a day to day thing, even in the future. Just don't over do it after and take care of your health and self, that's what is most important.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi Alexandra, I had surgery 21 years ago (I was 16 then).. I have not had any problems with my scoliosis since - I have had lower back problems from a injury I had - I will encourage you to do your best to always stay fit (maintian a healthy weight) and keep your core muscles strong.. My recovery time wasn't too bad, about 3 months and I was back to a basically normal life - feel free to email me if you'd like: askforken@aol.com

God be with you!!

Comment

I had surgery at the age of 20... While I don't *really* have any way of honestly comparing my experience, I don't think I fared any worse than the younger people I know that had surgery.... My best friend's sister in law was I think 14 when she had her surgery, and I know I bounced back a LOT more quickly.
        No real good hints on staying calm- I really lost it before my surgery. But if it helps, I now feel like a complete moron for flipping out as much as I did. It wasn't the huge deal I was expecting. A walk in the park, no. But I really lead a quite normal life.
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Alex,
          I'm 30 years old and just had my surgery this past Feb. I think I've done really well in my recovery as I feel great right now. I've recovered much more quickly than I thought I would and feel like I will be able to do all of the things I did prior to my surgery.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
          X