Gail...for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gail...for you

Hi Gail. A member named Kris Atkinson replied to my post (that I only just now realized is int he under 18 section) and said you might be able to help me!

Here's my story. My best friend fo 15+ years is to be my matron of honour in a little over a year. She has had "back problems" since she was born, including scoliosis. As a result she has a protruding left shoulder blade, protruding right hip and a HUGE scar down the middle of her back where they inserted the metal rod. For her wedding she wasn't nervous about walking down the aisle because everyone there knew her and there was only 50 or so people. For my wedding she knows no one except my parents and her parents and there will be closer to 200 at my wedding. She's worried they'll stare and she's worried they won't understand. This girl has been through a lot herself including some near death like experiences. Despite all of this she has been my guardian angel, my best friend and an unofficial sister. She's always been there and I love her for it. As a result, I want her to look STUNNING on my wedding day. I want her to feel so comfortable that her present worries don't ever cross her mind, and find her a dress or do something that she can do again and again and again so she can always feel like that. I'm not sure I have the budget to have a dress made specifically for her. Although I'm trying to find someone.

Anyway, this is where you come in. Kris said that you had pictures and advice on how to cover scars? Could you repost that for me? Do you have any other suggestions. A wedding fashion magazine has given me the advice on finding a dress that would draw away from the parts that she's self concious about, but anything else would be great. And if you know a dressmaker in Western Canada that might be able to help me out, that would be the best!

Thanks.

Hi, I'm not Gail, but I also have "the scar" and a "rib hump," so I thought I would offer some suggestions. Look for an evening gown with a high back (to conceal the scar) and a zipper (to make potential alterations easier). Sometimes it is possible to find a long skirt with a matching top that has a high back. If the skirt fits nicely, then only the top might need alterations to make it lie smoothly across the back. Perhaps the best way to conceal these back problems is with a jacket. If you are unable to find a gown with a matching jacket, then it might be best to buy a flattering dress and find a seamstress to make a matching jacket.
    With careful shopping, I have managed to find flattering formal wear in the stores in my area, without resorting to a dressmaker. If you are not in a large city, as I am, then a dressmaker, at least for a jacket, might be the best solution.

Comment

Hi ToBride,

I'm sorry I can't help you. I have not posted any pictures of scars and ways to conceal with makeup. I looked for another Gail in the member list and she had 0 post. Possibly the person is Gail but has a different message board post name. Best wishes to you as you plan for your wedding and may God Richly Bless you for trying so hard to make your friend look fabulous and feel good about herself!

Kindest Regards,
      Gail

Comment

I would recommend having a dress made, if possible. I was the matron of honor in a good friend's wedding last year, and that is the route we went. I have a large rib hump and scar, plus basically no waist. The dress had a drape-y top, and the seamstress was able to fit it correctly to my proportions, and it ended up being only about $60 for her to sew (easy pattern) plus the cost of the fabric. We had a large wrap made from the fabric too, but I didn't use that during the actual wedding, just during some of the formal pictures. Check around at fabric stores for lists of local seamstresses who might not charge as much as someone who works out of a bridal store. Also, there are online sites for brides-to-be, which is how my friend found the seamstress we used (she was highly recommended by others).

Melanie

Comment

Working...
        X