Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a stupid question...

Hello everyone!
    I have seen a few postings about physical activities on this site. I think you all will say that I am retarded for even asking, but what is everyone's take on snowboarding or skydiving (other than the obvious risks)? I really want to do those things, even though I realize they are dangerous and that I am limited by rods (CD, double curvature, pretty much fused from 2 vertebrae down from neck to a few up from my waist). I just wanted to know whether that will ever be a possibility for me. I hope I am not offending anyone who has trouble with everyday functioning.
    I have done martial arts, kickboxing, water skiing, tubing, and numerous roller coasters and none of those things have hurt me (although those are pretty tame). Just wondering.......

Hi Gina lea...

They are almost certainly possibilities, although your surgeon may tell you to avoid them. You should know that the discs above and below your fusion will always be at an increased risk for deterioration, and any activity that causes you to land hard or bounce, may increase that deterioration. If you're willing to take the risk of needing additional surgery, then I say go for it.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh man, I am stoked! I have always wanted to skydive, even as a young child. That is exciting news (if I can). I am also going to take your advice in reaching Dr. Boachie at HSS once my benefits kick in at work- approximately 3 weeks. Thank you for all you help, Linda.

Sincerely,
      Gina

Comment

Working...
      X