Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sacrum pain at 8 months post surgery

Would like to hear a response from anyone near 60 ( I am 63) who has been
    fused to the sacrum. I had been recovering well, even working in the garden.
    Then my sacrum began to be achy, burning when I sit (as in driving ) for 10 minutes or more and when I lay in bed on my back , my sacrum feels tender.I had weaned myself down to one-half a hyracodone every 3 or 4 hours, now
    I am fighting against increasing the dose. I was lengthening the daily walk which
    I took every day, now it makes my sacrum very sore. I have taken an anti-inflamatory for 6 days-I don't feel any better. If you are near my age, how long did your sacrum bother you? Is this pain I am having normal for seven or 8 months? Kathleen

Kathleen, I can't really help you much but I have the same thing. Sometimes stretching the muscles in the back of the thighs helps.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

sacrum pain

What did your doctor say about your sacrum pain? I already do exercises for stretching. I have been using some ice packs and lying down more. Kathleen

Comment

pedicle obstruction osteotomy

Teresa: What is a pedicle obstruction osteotomy? When was your original surgery done? Kathleen

Comment

Hi Kathleen...

You can find a description of all types of spine osteotomies, along with good drawings, here:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/display...rticle858.html

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kathleen, I'm only 37 - but had surgery 21 yrs ago - If I could suggest one thing that has really helped me alot, it's been buying a better mattress then adding thick foam and putting pillows under my legs (which relieves the pain in that lower part of my back).. feel free to email me if you want more details: askforken@aol.com

Take care!

Comment

Hi Kathleen, My original surgery was April 2004. I had 22 hours of surgery in two days with a 4 day break in between. I had the pedicle subtraction osteotomy done this past June 2005. Starting in November after my 6 month check up I am going back to PT again but this time for strength training. The doctor thinks that my muscles are fighting and resisting the correction to my spine. I have done lots of muscle stretches and inner core muscle strengthening exercises so now once the osteotomy is healed we are going to do strenuous strength training. A pedicle subtraction osteotomy is where they cut the pedicles (the little arms) off of your vertrabra (in my case it was the L3 level) and a little over an inch of my spine was removed in a wedge shaped to help pull me back upright some. I still take muscle relaxers and hydrocodone as needed. I also just started about 2 to 3 weeks ago using a portable TENS unit. That really helps.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
              X