Surgery for cosmetic reasons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery for cosmetic reasons?

Hi! I'm Nadia, and I live in Ukraine. I am 25, and seriously considering a scoliosis surgery. I've been diagnosed with scoliosis when I was about 7, and now have an approx. 80-degrees curve and a rib hump.

Since the curve is so severe, doctors say the I surely qualify for a surgery. What puzzles me most is that I have absolutely no pain in the back, lung problems or whatsoever. I lead a very active life, and nothing bothers me at all, except the way I look.

Doctors say that I will inevitably develop pain symptoms in later years. However, my primary motivation for surgery is the cosmetics. As a young and pretty woman, I hate living with that hump. I know it will not be corrected 100%, but even 50% correction will probably look much better, won't it?

Is the surgery worth if for cosmetic reasons? If you have gone through similar considerations, please, please respond to me or e-mail to nadiab@radooga.net!!! I will appreciate any advice or sharing from your experience.

Nadia

Hi Nadia...

I personally don't think I'd go through scoliosis surgery to look better. However, we're all different. And, more important than cosmesis is the fact that your curve has a significant chance of your curve progressing about 1-2 degrees a year. So, at 50, your curve could easily be over 100 degrees. If I were in your shoes, with such a high likelihood that the curve will increase, I'd probably have the surgery sooner rather than later.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Surgery

Nadia,
      Although I wouldn't think surgery should be recommended for cosmetic reasons....as there are risks to surgery in itself. Your curvature most likely will continue to increase, and at some point it most definitely will cause pain. You are very lucky that you don't already have pain. My curvature is 56 degrees and started have alot of pain this past year, when my curvature increased by 6 degrees in a year. I would definitely have surgery to prevent the curvature from getting worse and leading to pain and other complications. My dr said if we were going to have surgery, the sooner the better. Good luck!

Angel

Comment

Working...
      X