Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Home!!!

Hi Everyone,
    Well, after four and a half weeks in hospital, Genevieve and I are finally back home. Her back stopped oozing and her temperature came down and stayed down so they finally let us out. The latest blood cultures didn't grow anything untoward so they reckon we've got these bugs on the ropes.
    Genevieve still has to take oral antibiotics for the next fortnight and I'm about to start feeding her lots of live yoghurt to try to counteract the horrider digestive side effects. She's been on various antibiotics for the past three / four weeks already and I think there are no friendly bacteria left in her gut - with predictable effects. But it's worth it if we can kill this infection without having to take out the rods.
    She's fairly comfortable most of the time - she's only been taking paracetomol (is that the same as Tylenol?) for the last couple of days. She'd previously been taking Nefepam as well: a bit of an odd one but we had to take her off codeine because she got so constipated and of diclofenac because she got nauseous and paracetomol alone wasn't enough. Nefepam is only licensed for over fifteens in the UK but it worked well for her. The hospital have said it's OK for us to use Ibuprofen in addition tot he paracetomol if she needs anything extra.
    We're just hoping now that her back will actually fuse as most of the bone graft was lost during her second surgery. Apparently sometimes an early infection like this one can actually stimulate bone growth and the back fuses quite happily. Sometimes it doesn't and in that case we mighg have to look at further surgery in the future. Her spine is absolutely stable though because of the metalwork so handling her is not a problem.
    And she is so straight and beautiful: her sitting is much more stable and it's fabulous not to have to wrap her in plastic all the time just so she can sit upright! She will have to wear a much smaller hip brace to protect her hip position.
    Thank you all for your prayers and support.

Lorrie

Hello Tracy

I'm sorry about replay so late your private message . I do check each day (Monday to Friday) every new post in the Surgery Forum of NSF, but I didn't notice that I had a new private message.

Gaby is doing very well right now. She is responding so well to an immunological treatment. So she has gain a lot of weight. No asthma, no fever, no flu. The doctors told us that they don't think in surgery for the moment. So she is using 12 to 14 hours a day a brace, which is between a Boston and Milwaukee and checking with X rays each three o four months.

A couple of months ago we were urgently trying to contact with a Shrinner Hospital because we were afraid of another surgery without the best conditions and the best implants for an anterior approach surgery. Now we don't have the pressure of next surgery here and I wish to make things a little more calmly. We need a little time for recovering ourselves my wife who is psychologist almost need psychiatric treatment this has been as in NSF is used to say such a roller coaster.

I wish the best for Megan and all your family. We will keep on praying for both.

Comment

Sorry i was trying to answer a privated message of Tracy and was reading at the same time your post and submit my replay in yours, sorry.

I´m so happy Genevie is doing better

Comment

Hello

I take this from a Shrinner hospital advice for post op spinal fusion care:

· Do not take Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, Aleve or any other similar drug. These decrease bone healing.
        · Tylenol may be taken.

I read about this in several post in this forum and some doctors seems to recommend this and some others not.

About the friendly bacteria left in her gut we have to face this several times with our daughter. It's always associated with the antibiotics, mainly with the strong oral antibiotics. Beside of yogurt exist some medication very effective to restore the friendly bacteria. We buy a Spanish medicine called Ultralevura which have Sacharomyci Boulardi inside and work perfectly.

My prayers for Genevieve

Comment

Hi Carlos
          Many thanks for your prayers and good wishes. Genevieve has been great since we got home except that she had a seizure on Tuesday evening - her first for 15 months. Fortunately she came out of it herself and we didn't end up back in hospital. On previous occaisions she has fitted for about an hour and a half and we have been rushed to hospital.

I did check whether we could use ibuprofen as I had heard that you shouldn't. Our hospital said it was OK. The way I've been looking at it is that I would not use it on a regular basis as our main pain control drug but that a very occasional dose as a back up if Genevieve needed something extra before she could take more paracetamol (I think that's the same as Tylenol) was not going to be a problem. As it happens, I've not had to give her anything except paracetamol since we came home.
          I'm hoping it stays that way but she is having her clips taken out tomorrow so she may be a bit sorer afterwards. I think that could be quite traumatic as there are lots and lots of them. I'm told they may only take out half tomorrow and then come back to do the rest a day or two later.
          We've started Geeve on 'friendly bacteria' capsules so maybe her poor abused digestive system will start to settle down!

Regards,
          Lorrie

Comment

Working...
          X