View Full Version : Having a very bumpy ride!

09-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi folks,
Just a quick update - I've run away for an evening and come home for dinner. genevieve was not amused!
We've been having quite a bad time (understatement!). Following surgery on 22nd August, genevieve threw up steadily for about a fortnight. Relatively well controlled for part of that using Ondanzatron (sp?) and Rinitidine (sp?). She then started to run a temperature which was thought to be a urinary tract infection initially until her back started oozing. Swabs taken of this came back as "growing nothing" and Geeve was put on a wide spectrum intravenous anti biotic. Blood tests onfirmed she had a bug of some kind and her surgeon said that, in spite of negative results, it just wasn't credible that there was no infection in her back.
Accordingly, she went back to theatre on 7th September to have the wound debrided - reopened and washed out and put back together (with clips rather than dissolving stitches). Surgeon was right - they found lots of gunge to wash out and identified a 'gram negative rod' which enabled them to identify the appropriate antibiotic (Septrin). Geeve lost a lot of blood during the second op and had to be given 6 units of blood and three of plasma (on top of the three she needed during her original op - I reckon she's had a complete oil change!) She was so much better virtually immediately after the second op and got back her sparkle straight away.
She's been making good progress since then - eating and drinking and had been up in her chair - and was switched back to oral antibiotics on Thursday night. Unfortunately since then she has twice spiked a temperature of more than 38C and today we have had more ooze from her back (for the first time since her second op) and she's been sick so i'm not sure we're out of the woods yet. Think we might be going back on to intravenous antib's.
long term we might have a problem as most of the bone graft was washed out during the second op: that's a wait and see problem.
Thanks for all your support. I'm about to go back to the hospital so may not be able to post again for a while. Please pray for us.

09-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Lorrie, God be with you both. I'll be praying for you! Kris

Mary Lou
09-17-2005, 06:36 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. God bless.

Mary Lou

09-17-2005, 07:33 PM

I will certainly pray for both of you. Hang in there.

Kindest Regards,

nicoles mom
09-17-2005, 10:36 PM
I Wish You The Best Hope Genevienve Is Feeling Better Soon.
Hang In There.
You Are In My Prayers

09-19-2005, 12:20 AM
You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are praying for the best for you whole family.


09-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Hope the infection comes under control. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!

09-19-2005, 11:37 AM
So sorry to hear the news, Genevieve seemed to be doing so well post op. Hope the anti-b's work and her condition improves. Your in my thought and prayers.


Carlos Alberto
09-19-2005, 11:52 AM

. Your post remind me the most painful time of my life. We suffer more for our child than for ourselves. My daughter also has infection in her back. In her case the doctors consider not to reopen the wound but make a long antibiotic therapy trying to resist a year but eight years later her hardware was removed. The big problem is that if the bugs get into the rods they don't leave. I hope that the second surgery in your daughter could clean everything. There are several test to know if there is an infection VSG (normal value below 20mm/1h) Protein C reactive. Ganmagrafía ósea marcada con leucocitos (Spanish) and others.
If she has fever some doctors don't recommend some medication because they could affect the spinal fusion. One recommended is Tylenol. In this Forum I also read about it.

My best for your daughter