long term meds vs surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long term meds vs surgery

Ihave had an "S" scoliosis for 30 years wiith the largest curve being lumbar. (Im now 44 years old)
    So far Ive managed with daily anti inflammatories and pain killers but the 24/7 pain is not responding to them any more. I don't know the degree of curve now but 20 years ago it was 34 degrees and I can tell it has worsened considerably. Has anyone managed to go this long or longer without having surgery,and just survived on medication?
    My hips are very lopsided and my left leg is 1 1/2 cm shortened as a result.
    I have an appointment with an ortho surgeon in December and I know he will recommend surgery but having had previous bad anaesthetic experiences Im very reluctant to agree to one.
    If there is anybody else who has managed to get by without surgery for so long and not permanently damaged their liver from all the drugs I would love to hear from you.

IF your doctor recommends surgery, you need to tell him exactly what happened when you had your last surgery. Our daughter had a terrible reaction for an emergency surgery on a cyst on her neck two years ago. When it came time for her back surgery this spring, she told the doctors what happened and they did several things to keep it from happening again. If you got terribly sick, they can give you something to help that. If you woke up to soon, which happens sometimes (rarely), let them know as they may have to use something different. But, be upfront and tell them your problem. I can't imagine that taking meds all these years has been good on your liver as it is. Let alone, the pain can become unbearable at times.

Comment

meds vs surgery

I am a 44 year old mother/grandmother who also has had scoliosis for many years. They discovered it when I was 6 months old! I have not had to take much medicine most of the time, but about every 3 months or so I have to take a lot. This amount has flucuated much over the years. Recently, however, I have been told that I need surgery. It is scheduled for November 8 & 11 (anterior & posterior). My scoliosis has also gotten worse, coupled with degenerative disc disease. I agree that you should tell your surgeon exactly what happened last time you had surgery. Nowadays, they have many different alternatives to everything. (I am allergic to topical bendadine...just found that out when I had my hysterectomy). Don't be afraid to talk to the doctor. Good luck to you. My prayers will be with you.
      Linda

Comment

Working...
      X