my boss = retarded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my boss = retarded

Hello all. I have just received my schedule for next month. I am on convalescent leave until 1 October, however I am scheduled to work that night from 530 in the afternoon until 6 the next morning!!! I am unable to sit for that length of time without being in pain and it (the pain) gets worse at night! ACK! I thought that when returning to work that one would be on light duty? Any advice on this subject? How would I tell my boss that I am not going to be working the schedule he has written up. (Oh, and my 6 week follow up appt isn't until the 23rd of September)

Thank you.. Oh, and sorry for the rant.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

my bosses = retarded as well

I have 3 bosses, and they are all retarded. When I first told them I was going to have surgery they were fine with it. They were happy that I was doing this finally. They hired a lady for me to train so that our billing and stuff wouldn't get behind. When I told them that my surgeon has changed the date of my surgery they totally flipped out. They acted like it was my fault and that I should call my surgeon and tell him that I couldn't change the date.
    They were talking like I would be back to work and in perfect condition in no time. When I told them that I probably won't be able to work full days at first they got an attitude with me. I finally told them that if I couldn't come back to work on light duty that I would just find another job!!! They are not used to me defending myself- it totally shocked them and they agreed that I would come back on light duty until I felt comfortable coming back full time!

Comment

It's not that easy for me to tell my bosses. (I'm currently in the military) They actually wanted me to reschedule my surgery so that I would be able to be on standby during a basewide inspection we were having. (HA HA HA HA) They don't care about you, they just care about how much you can work. My surgery date changed as well so I know how you felt on that one. They actually have me scheduled to work on my last day of Convalescent leave (that is if the doctor doesn't extend it) It's just that they have me as being a supervisor, so that means that if there are any deer or anything on the airfield I have to grab this big ole thing of pyrotechnics (which is heavy), 3 handheld radios, a clipboard and the keys and attempt to get myself into a pickup truck in which the floorboard comes to right above my kneecaps. I can't pick my own weight up with my arms because it feels like my back muscles are ripping apart at the incision. (oh and not to mention picking up debree on the flightline which would require me to get in and out of the vehicle repeatedly. Hmm... would it be wrong of me to ask my doctor for more time off??? I am still having difficulty driving still (car is a manual) and can't stand or sitdown for too long without having to laydown on my side.
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

So Sorry!!

I am so sorry that you can't just tell them to bugger off. It sounds like you have a very physically challenging job. As for me I have a job that required a lot of sitting and typing and talking on the phone. Do you think that I will have trouble sitting down for long periods of time after I go back to work??
        I just spoke to my surgeon- I am having surgery on October 12th- WHen do you think I will be able to go back to work?

Comment

Well, I've been out of work for almost 2 months. I find out on the 23rd if I am allowed to go back in October. (who knows) Every person is different and heals differently. Whereas you and I are only a year apart I would say you would probably have the same amount of time off as me. (2 months) But don't hold me to that. Well you will most definitely be in my prayers! Good luck with your surgery and hope everything the doctor hopes to achieve is reached!

~Shelley
          25 yr old female =^_^=
          Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Shelley,

If I was you I would call my doctor and reschedule the appointment or have a phone consult about returning to work. You need to make sure that you explain your job in detail to the doctor and you need to tell him what you are able to do now comfortably and what you can't in relattion to your job. I was off for 5 months before going back. Also, when you get your work release, make sure that it is detailed and fully written out what you can and can't do.
            Last edited by Theresa; 09-15-2005, 06:34 PM.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
              Shelley,

If I was you I would call my doctor and reschedule the appointment or have a phone consult about returning to work. You need to make sure that you explain your job in detail to the doctor and you need to tell him what you are able to do now comfortably and what you can't in relattion to your job. I was off for 5 months before going back. Also, when you get your work release, make sure that it is detailed and fully written out what you can and can't do.
              I'm going to speak with my doctor. The pain in my back gets really bad in the evenings/night... I guess I'm just overdoing it during the day or something. I really appreciate all the support you guys give! (much better than what my husband gives, but then yet he doesn't understand what I'm going through to the fullest extent (lucky for him he was born with a straight spine)) Oh, and by the way, does anyone else have the problem with not being able to touch their chin to their chest or move their head a certain way without it hurting in your back?? Just curious. Plus it hurts really bad underneath my shoulder blade still on my left side. ACK! And another thing... after having the surgery have any of you had the problem with looking like you're leaning the other way than you were before you had the operation and does one arm hang out further to the side than the other??? I'm having that problem and seeing it in the mirror bothers me a little. I don't want to continue looking like the leaning tower of Pisa! thanks
              Last edited by itsjustme; 09-15-2005, 06:42 PM.
              25 yr old female =^_^=
              Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Shelley,

You are still very early in your recovery period. The leaning will usually straighten itself out as your muscles get stronger. Remember that some muscles in your back will have been overstretched and some will have atrophied some due to the scoliosis. You really need to sit down with your husband and get him to understand that you don't need to be doing all that housework! The house can go dirty for a few months. Go to the commissary and get some prepared foods or frozen dinners and snacks so you don't need to be cooking that much. Get paper plates, plastic silverware, and plastic cups so you don't have to be washing dishes or unloading the dishwasher. The pain is a sign that you are overdoing. You need to use what energy you have to heal. I am now 17 months post op from my first round of surgery and I still don't vaccum, I ask my husband to do it when I think it needs to be done. Take care of yourself!
                Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                Fused T2 to sacrum
                June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa, that is very well said and ITA.

I think our health is what is the most important and precious thing and if we don't take care of it properly or heal the best we can, well we're not only effecting ourselves negatively but people surrounding us as well, and it is important to especially take it easy(and exercising) after scoliosis surgery since it involves fusion that takes time.
                  35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Shelley,
                    My job is by no means as physically demanding as yours, I'm an admin. assitant, but I did not go back to work full-time until 4 months post-op. I started back on week 11 at 4 hours a day and worked up to the 8-hour a day schedule gradually. I work for an insurance company where they assign you a case manager when you are out on STD. She tried to rush me to go back full-time after just 3 weeks of going back, but I called my surgeon's office and got them to get me an extension. You really have to try your best to do what's best for you.

I have military personnel in the family, and I know that a military job is different than our regular 9-5 jobs, but I would think that those you report to would rather have you take some extra time and get you back in as healthy shape as possible rather than getting you back sooner and risking you doing any damage or just running yourself down energy-wise and having to take additional time off for that. It's not easy to go from doing not much of anything to the grind of everyday work life again. I've just gotten used to the 8-hour days again and it's been 3 months!

I'd talk with your surgeon and see if she/he can't help you out. Good luck!

Comment

Shelley,
                      I forgot to answer one of your other questions..about being able to touch your chin to your chest. I still can't do this, even after having post-op OT to regain movement in my neck, it really helped a lot with the overall movement, but I just never have been able to do the chin thing again!

Also, yes, I felt like I was leaning the opposite of the way I was leaning prior to surgery and worried that I would do this forever, but once I regained muscle strength, I've evened out! People are still commenting on the fact that I look so much taller, even those who have seen me repeadedly since my surgery, and I think it's because I'm not leaning anymore!

Comment

I can touch my chin to my chest. I am 2 yrs. 7 months post-op. However, I remember not being able to bend my chin down to look at my belly, I remember getting in bed and not being able to bend my chin down to see if I was laying straight also. I remember asking my husband to look and see if I had my hips and feet aligned with my torso when I would get in bed. You know after surgery...you feel so crooked because you have spent many years compensating for a curved spine....I just didn't know what straight was. Hang in there...all these little annoyances will pass.

Kindest Regards,
                        Gail

Comment

Gail,
                          What you said about asking your husband if you were straight when lying in bed made me laugh because I did the same thing to my husband constantly for the first few months until I could tell for myself if I was straight. Thanks for jogging that little funny memory!

Comment

Working...
                          X