Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First day post op URGENT

OK folks,

This post it about Riley the dancer. We had our surgury this morning and all went well. However, the doctors say no water and my daughter is begging, pleading, with me. To a point I can't describe. Do any of you have any advice on this? It's like the meds don't even help because all she can say is that her throat hurts.

Hi...

Do NOT let Riley drink anything until the staff hears bowel sounds. If she drinks or anything before that happens, she may get an ilius (bowel obstruction) that is usually way more uncomfortable than the post-op back pain. You might ask if she can have a flavored sponge thingy or ice chips, but they should be limited as well.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

After my daughter's surgery the nurses gave her cotton buds (Q-Tip in the U.S?) soaked in water that she could rub around in her mouth. This helped the parched feeling a lot, but didn't introduce any water into the gut which, as Linda said, is dangerous. Maybe your girl's doctor would also allow this?

After about 24 hours, when Caitlin was allowed ice chips, she said it was the most wonderful experience of her entire life.

Hang in there. It gets better fast.

Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

We are now at 24hrs and I just can't believe the amount of pain she is in. This is a very helpless feeling.

Comment

Can someone tell me how severe the pain was and how it was treated. My daughter has been waking up every half hour since surgury, her heart rate elevates, and she cries and wimpers. I am being told that her pain should be controlled by this point and it is not. We have been using a variety of pain methods but nothing seems to last. We are now 24hrs post op.

Comment

Hi...

The pain should be tolerable. Does Riley have a PCA (a button she pushes to get more pain medication)? If so, she may need to be reminded that she should push the button. Either way, you may want to ask if you can talk to a pain management doctor.

I know how horrendous it is to see your daughter in so much pain. All I can tell you is that you'll be surprised in a week, at how far she's come. Hang in there!

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

We switched to "dilata?sp?" and muscle relaxers. She seems much, much, better now. Wish we would have been able to try these things last night. Thanks for you kind words.

Comment

Excellent. I'm so glad to hear that she's more comfortable. The medication is probably dilaudid:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/hydromorphone.htm

--Linda

Comment

Linda . . .

What a great forum this is . . . Linda, I'm in awe of your help for Riley and Mom, it can be a very trying week, and you were right there; wonderful! Pat

Comment

Thank you Pat. :-)

Comment

Don't be afraid to raise a fuss with the nurses if you're concerned about your wee girl. While Caitlin was in hospital we had a couple of moments of real Mum Frenzy when I felt she wasn't getting what she needed. (I'm a redhead, so this comes naturally to me, but I believe any Mum can do it.) The nurses really seemed to understand our viewpoint. You feel like a shrew, but that's what the parents are there for really, to help the nurses take care of the child.

If you think she needs more pain meds, grab somebody and tell them so. If you can express your sense of urgency without being actually rude, you'll get action.

Good Luck - Patricia
                      Patricia
                      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
                      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
                      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

When Crystal had her surgery, the nurses (all except one) would alternate medications so that she was able to have them a little more often if she really hurt. The doctor even sent home prescriptions that way, even though we didn't need them by then. He said, just in case after the 5 hour drive home. Shriners was all about getting the kids comfortable and on their feet again. When she gets to walking again things will really start to improve, you'll feel like your going backwards sometimes, but it really is forward.

Hang in there, the worst really is over.

'til later,
                        Nikki

Comment

I had the same exact thing after my first surgery. My throat was soo dry that it started to hurt. they would only let me have a little but of water on a sponge, because i had to have surgery right away again. I never understood why they wouldnt let me have water because there was a tube going down my nose sucking everything out of my stomach anyways!

With my last surgery this summer, i found that my throat hurt a lot more from the actual tube being in there, than anything else. But this time i was able to have water.

Tell her to hang in there!
                          Abby
                          18 year old female
                          scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
                          corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
                          After second surgery, fusion was a success.
                          Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
                          Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Hi vandesha,

my daughter was the same. Her mouth was so sticky, and she was miserable. What I did that helped a bunch was to take a clean wash cloth, soak it in ice water, and wring it out. I let her rub her lips, gums, and the inside of her mouth, and I let her suck on it a little. It was just a few drops of cold water, and it made her mouth feel so much better without adding enough water to make her sick.

I hope you BOTH are feeling better soon! The next few weeks are tough, but it gets so much better after that!
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~
                            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

my docters let me have ice chips after surgery but no actual liquids
                              ~Shannon~
                              Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                              13 months Post-op
                              E-mail me!:
                              starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                              X