Any flute players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any flute players?

Hi! I'm 13 and i've had a Boston brace for about 3 weeks and i've been playing the flute for about 5 years. Since i got my brace, it's been harder for me to play because i can't take big quick breaths. (today, i had to stop in mid-sneeze because i coudn't take a big quick breath LOL) If i want to take a big breath, i have to take it slowly. Will this get better?
    Temima

13 years old

wears a boston brace 23/7

has 17 and 23 degree curves
    11 and 8 degree curves w/ brace

Hi MadamMim16

You'll most likely find, with time you'll get used to the different way of taking breaths in a brace...and your body will adapt, it will take time though (if you were playing a Saxophone or Clarinet you'd prolly find circular breathing would work.....don't know how well it'd work with a flute :-P). You also could try loosening your brace slightly when you are playing.

I can relate to your difficulty, throughout my brace wearing years I played (combinations of) the Clarinet, the Bass Clarinet and the Alto Saxophone. Over time I adjusted to breathing differently.....the only time I took the brace off to play was when I was undertaking an exam.

Regards

Alison

Comment

Hi there:

My daughter is also a flute player. She spent 18 months in a TLSO. She always found it more difficult to breathe with the brace on, although it got better over time. Her surgeon let her take the brace off for performances and exams.

Cheers - Patricia
      Patricia
      Scoli Mum from New Zealand
      Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
      Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

I play the clarinet, but the breathing's probably pretty much the same. I just got used to breathing differently. I got really mad whenever our band director told us to do exercises with expanding our stomachs though. Since I've been out of the brace, I've been having a hard timd adjusting to the "correct" way of breathing.

What I did to practice getting more air in was do breathing exercises (like in for 8 hold 8 out 8) before I went to bed.
        Cailin
        40* Lumbar Curve
        Wore Boston brace for 11 months

Comment

I started playing the clarinet when I first got a brace, about 3 1/2 years ago. So playing the clarinet and breathing was always with teh brace. Now that I don't wear a brace anymore, I find that breathing is harder, because my roation is pretty bad and my lung capacity is quite small. So without a brace it's harder for me, as a brace was slightly fixing the rotation. Now I have to take smaller breaths more frequently while playing. It's very hard to do sixteenth notes, as I run out breath after doing 2 meausures or so of straight sixteenth notes at a relatively fast tempo.

But anyway, you'll get used to having to take shorter but more frequent breaths. Often when playing a fast piece of music I have skip notes to breath, as I feel like I'm going to pass out. Not good, when you're trying to be first chair.

Good luck with your bracing!
          MARA

Boston Brace for 3 1/2 years...

Stopped wearing brace once curves got to 54* and 31*

Decided on surgery in mid-August of 2005

Had surgery on Novmeber 14, when the curves were in the mid 60's

Now I only have one curve of about 20*!

Comment

i play the flute....perhaps you could get permission from your doctor to take it off during band...or have someone loosen the straps during band so its easier to breath. sorry i couldnt be more help
            ~Shannon~
            Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
            13 months Post-op
            E-mail me!:
            starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

HEy

well i play the clarinet, and im 14. im about to get my brace and didnt think about that. thats a very good point. yikes. cuz im also a dancer and in marching band, which takes a lot of air support. hmm.

cloggerx3
              Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

you'll probably want to talk to your doctor about how long you have to wear the brace every day. marching band and dancing wouldn't be too easy to do with the brace. (I've done both....only mostly out of the brace) especially (in marching band) when you have to do slides and stuff like that. But I found that in concert band, once I figured out how to breathe "right" I was fine. You should probably also tell your directors/ dance teachers about your situation (even though I didn't...hehe) just so they'll be understanding if you have trouble.
                Cailin
                40* Lumbar Curve

Comment

yeah

yeah, thats true. im supposed to be in the brace for 20 hrs out of the day. so i might take it off for marching rehearsal, which is 3 hrs long. but idk. how long dd it take u to get used to it "claribeatlegirl"?

cloggerx3
                  Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

I got my brace off before I started marching, so I don't know exactly what you should do. I did dance though, but I got out of my brace 9 hours a day if I wanted to (even though most of the time I wore it around 20) But the good news is marching season'll be over pretty soon (probably within a month)
                    Cailin
                    40* Lumbar Curve

Comment

Hey

I started flute in August 2005 and got my brace in December 2005 I have recently started to take my brace off while I practice at home and during privet lessons, but at school i leave it an because band is my last period of the day and would not have time to put it back on after school and get to my bus
                      Taking my brace off while i play has inproved my playing in almost everything. Now I can play 3 whole notes tied togather!!! lol
                      Mák Veronika
                      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                      40T
                      54L
                      +rotation
                      Boston Brace since December 2005
                      Location in Florida

I play flute.
                      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X