? about non-fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? about non-fusion

Just curious if there are any tell-tale signs; such as pain/burning sensation; that would warrent that the fusion is not taking place.

Thanks

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Hi Shelley...

There probably are obvious signs, but pain and burning sensations are fairly normal.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

alright. Feeling all this hardware in my back freaks me out sometimes still, and I hear the stories about people who never fuse. I sometimes forget that I had the surgery until I move a certain way in my sleep that wakes me and sends me in alot of pain with the burning feeling. (don't want to sound too paranoid)

Oh, and since I'm here online and don't want to post another thread. When going back to work, will the doctor clear you to work 12 hours a day 4 on and 2 off shift work if you are still in a significant amount of pain. ( I can't sit still for too long that my back gets really tired and achey, and I don't want to be miserable at work)

Thanks a bunch
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees
      surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
      Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Hi it's just me,

I was sent back to work at 13 weeks post-op for 4hrs/day for 4 weeks. At 17 weeks I was back full time 8hrs/day.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

Shelley, I went back to work at 5 months post op to an 8 hour a day job. The doctor had me on lifting restrictions for the whole year increasing the weight slowly every few months. He also put down that I might need to lay down to rest for 10 minutes every hour or two. I would come home and go straight to bed the first few months. You're alot younger so you might do better earlier than me. I think the 12 hour shifts might be pushing it to start with.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

To Theresa

Just wondering what type of work do you do? I'm anticipating (? right word to use) a/p surgery in the spring. The last time I spoke to my doctor about surgery, he was recommending March. Also, if you don't mind my asking- how old are you?
            I'm a spec. ed. teacher which requires a lot of standing and moving around. So I'm really curious about how long the healing process will take. School starts early here- first week of August.

Thanks,
            CSC
            CSC
            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi CSC,

Believe it or not I also work in a school. I work in an elementary library. I'm the library aide. I'm up and down throughout the day. My first round of surgery was in April 2004 for A/P surgery. I went back to work a week after Labor Day. Our school also starts in early August. I just turned 50 this past August 31st. I did have a bit of trouble after my surgery with walking. I couldn't hold myself upright for very long and needed a cane for assistance in walking. I had another surgery this past June to correct that issue. I technically didn't have flatback due to the way my surgery was done, but I had the symptoms and the look of flatback. On my second surgical report the DX was actually listed as kyphoscoliosis with sagittal imbalance. My scoliosis is listed on the reports as pretty severe. Right now I'm having some problems with my muscles not wanting to accept the changes. In November I start strength training with PT. Two things that you will need to watch for when you go back to work: If you do lunch duty or anytime you go in the cafeteria or restroom areas be very careful to make sure that the floor is not wet and watch out for spilt milk and dropped food. I didn't step foot in the cafeteria last year. The second thing is when the kids come running up to you to give you a hug, make sure that you have a good balance so they don't knock you down. I also stayed out of the halls at dismissal time. How old are you? Where do you live? Do you know the level of fusion that you will be having? Big thing to remember also is that it is a long slow recovery. You will have alot of ups and downs emotionally. Make sure that you have a good support system. I can remember some days when I was by myself calling my daughter in Colorado crying and complaining. But after you do that and someone reminds you how far you have come then everything is fine again. Then you start the cycle again. Save up on movies, that way you'll have plenty to watch! Feel free to ask any questions. Remember if you start to get to anxious about your surgery talking always helps.
              Last edited by Theresa; 09-14-2005, 09:37 PM.
              Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Reply to Theresa

Thanks so much for a lengthy answer. You answered some of my questions.
                We don't have hallways but I'm defintely won't be monitoring during passing times out on the sidewalks. I teach at a middle school so these kiddos are pretty big. I turn 50 in January- can't believe it. I know I'll definitely need some support. Sounds like there are a lot of emotional ups and downs- before and after. You sound like a good contact since our situations are similar. I don't know how long my fusion will be. I do know my doctor does it- a/p - in one stage. I'll know more details in October after my upcoming appointment. Never paid that much attention in the past because surgery was always a "wait and see." Right now I've stopped taking Celebrex the last couple of days- will see if that affects my mobility. I've been taking it for the last month due to pain.

CSC
                CSC
                Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Glad I was able to answer some of your questions! If you search back under my name you'll find alot of posts when I was going through recovery.
                  Theresa

Fused T2 to sacrum

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                  X