Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken screws twenty years on

Hi everyone,

I had a spinal fusion op 21 years ago when I was 12. Everything was successful and 18 months later I had my last visit to the doctor who said it took well and goodbye, we don't need to see you again. Last year I had a baby with c-section and used my x rays for the anesthetist to know where to put the epidural. Somehow my x rays got lost so last week I went to have more done before I get pregnant again. The x rays show 2 broken screws and I have to go to an orthopedic doctor for a check up. Should I be worried? I've had no pain over the years even during pregnancy.

The doctor who operated me has retired and I now live in Israel anyway (op done in England) and the earliest appointment is November. I'd love to hear from someone who can tell me what the deal is. If anyone can, please ask your doctor and see what he/she says, and let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Lisa

I have a broken rod, and both orthos that I have consulted told me that as long as I don't have pain it's not a problem, unfortunately for me I have pain though.

Broken hardware is a problem only when you have pain an even then, you get to decided wether you want to live with it or get surgery again. That's what I know, but opinions may differ and each case is different so seeing an orho is best.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
    X