View Full Version : pediatric ortho or spinal surgeon?

01-30-2004, 05:44 PM
Hi everyone,
My daughter is 14 and has a double curve. We are doing an alternative for now instead of surgery because she refuses to have it. Anyway, she is due to go back and get x rays in may or June. We did not care for the pediatric ortho she went to. My question is for surgery which one is better for a 14 year old? A spinal surgeon (I dont know how many kids they work with) or a pediatric ortho that might have set broken arms for the past few weeks and not backs. I dont know how to decide which to make the appt with. Hellllp! Bonnie9557@aol.com

01-31-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi Bonnie,

Your preference should be a pediatric orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis. There are quite a few out there... if you don't like the current ortho you see (or if the ortho has little or no scoliosis experience) FIND A NEW ONE. A spinal surgeon can be an orthopedist or a neurosurgeon or even a general surgeon. I would stay away from ANY surgeon who does not routinely do scoliosis surgeries (like every week).

Good luck and let us know things go.

09-28-2005, 09:55 AM
If you aren't happy with your ortho...get a new one. You'll be dealing with this person for a long time and it's best to get one you feel you can work with. On whether to see a ped. ortho or spinal surgeon...if they are saying surgery as a highly possible option, I would find a spinal surgeon that has experience with scoliosis. I had back surgery at age 12 for Congenital Kyphosoliosis and my primary doctor was a spinal surgeon. I find they are more specialized and have more specific knowledge of the spine and it's disorders. If surgery is not a high possiblity or certainty, I say find a doctor you like and trust whether it's a spinal surgeon or ortho.

09-30-2005, 03:39 PM
i go to children's hospital of philadelphia (apparently one of the best children's hospitals in the world) and see an orthopedist who specializes in tumors and scoliosis. i had my surgery three years ago (i wish my mom let me choose with my surgeries lol :p ). if you can find an orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis, that would probably be the best thing to do.

if you don't have one in your area, i would probably go to a spinal surgeon because they must have seen at least a few scoliosis cases, some of which were probably teenagers.

i hope that i may have helped a bit, and good luck to you and your daughter :)