Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Hi all,
    My daughter who has scoliosis(58 degrees) mid thoracic curve had her appointment yesterday. She has jumped 8 degrees in 6 months. She is having surgery in the next 6 months. She is 9 years old, I wondered if anybody can tell me what to expect, or if anybody has a child who has surgery. They told me that they will fuse the spine from the back and front. They said it will all done in one day. Yikes!!!! I cannot beleive this is happening to us. She is so glad, she hates her brace..
    When we were there I had all sorts of questions to ask, but just sat that there be-wildered. I would like to be prepared next time. What sort of questions do you suggest? Sorry to sound I little dumb, but this has only happened in the last 6 mths. They will not put expandable rods in. They said that the complications are to great. What he said that they will fuse her spine. She will have growth below and above the curve. He never expalained what discs they will fuse but I did see T5>T12. Is this bad?? All he said was that he will remove some discs, take a rib, then fuse the spine, and then put the rods in?? Please, Please Help...Linda if your there please help.

Gill
    GILL

Hi Gill...

T5-T12 is a relatively short fusion. That's definitely a good thing.

I'd like to encourage you to read a new book. It's called Scoliosis Surgery: The Definitive Patient Reference. You can purchase it at http://www.curvedspine.com. I think it will really help you get a handle on what you're about to go through.

There's only one other piece of knowledge I can offer. This surgery will most likely be a lot harder on you then it will be on your daughter. It's very difficult watching your child be in a lot of pain. But, after a bad week or two, most kids have a pretty easy time of recovering from scoliosis surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda

LInda,

Thanks for you help, your always there.

Gill
      GILL

Comment

Working...
      X