Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom needs help

Hello to everyone,
    My son is 11 and was diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. One day he was fine and then in a matter of about two weeks he had a 65 degree turn in his back. He is going to be treated at Scottish Rite Hospital here in Texas. My problem is this, he is very active in sports. He now has around an inch and a half difference in leg length and when he runs, he sometimes forgets to lift his leg higher and trips himself. He will have surgery next year to fuse his spine so that it doesn't get worse but for right now, I am wanting to see about getting him shoes made that will make up the leg length difference. There doesn't seem to be any information out there - can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Sharon

If you're already seeing a pediatric ortho dr. you should ask him/her. I don't know if a shoe lift would help the difference in leg length?

Renee

Comment

Sharon, when I was diagnosed way back, I had a difference in leg length also. My mother took all my shoes to the shoemaker and he added to the heal and then I put a lift in my shoe, which I took out and put in any shoe I wore. I can't remember where we got the lift for inside but I'm sure a shoemaker can help you. I'm not sure what the exact difference in length I had. It did do the job and no-one ever knew. Good luck. LYNN
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Some patient's cases are not as simple as "just" adding a lift to the shoe. My Braydon is 10yrs old and was born with congenital scoliosis. When he was 5yrs old, his leg length difference was about 3cms. His hips were not even due to the scoliosis, which exaggerated the leg length difference. We tried adding a lift to his shoe so he wouldn't trip and limp as much. However, for him, the lift caused reflected pain in his hips and lower back, because his hips were not even. The lift actually caused more problems than not wearing a lift at all.

When Braydon had surgery to stabilize his spine, they were able to level his hips and re-balance his neck and pelvis. THEN, we added a lift to his shoe again, and it was MUCH better. He wears a 3cm lift that is added directly to the shoe (the orthotist removes the original sole of the shoe and puts the lift material between the sole and bottom of the shoe). He no longer limps or trips.

You mentioned that they are planning to fuse your son's spine next year. He is very young to be having fusion surgery. Have you gotten second or more opinions about treatment for him? Does he have any other medical condition that may effect his scoliosis?

Good luck to you.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
        X