help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help!

I wish i could have a positive attitude about scoliosis, but i really don't. I hate my scoliosis and everything about it. The fact that I look completely deformed and the it makes me have to worry about what to wear and it makes me feel self concious. And the constant pain even from just doing the simplest of things, like washing the dishes can bring on pain, or bending over the table doing work for too long and the way in which it takes a long time just to get comfortable in bed. I wish I could be more postitive about scoliosis because I knw i can't change it but I can't help it, it's all i see when i look in the mirror. Help! how can i have a positive additude???

Can be difficult....

I have found that somethings are more painful than others. For example when I do dishes - the sink might be lower than mine at home. This can cause lower back pain. If I sit in one position too long - my body will protest. Lately, I have found that hills are difficult to walk. Saturday I went on a short hike w/ my husband and I'm still feeling some numbness and pain in my left leg.
    You have to try to gauge your activity level. Find what helps and what harms you. I love warm showers with the spray directed on my back. Sitting in the spa helps relax. When I can - I do stretching exercises. Have someone go shopping with you to figure out which clothes disguise the best. Clingy knits or fitted tops do not work for me. I layer clothing a lot. Try to find outside interests that will help you take your mind off the scoli.
    I know it is not easy. But you really sound depressed. Perhaps seeing the doctor and voicing some of these concerns might help. He/she might have some ideas about helping you cope.
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Having kyphoscoliosis, 54 degree curve forward and 15 to the right, makes most anything difficult. My right shoulder is very visibly lower than my left and I have a very visible "hump" when I lean forward and especially bend over. Long periods of standing in one spot, bent over a desk or table, sitting in a chair, or walking hurt quite a bit. Problem is I love to do yardwork and all sorts of projects. Having to stand up after bending over for a few minutes pulling weeds or whatever just about knocks the wind out of me. I look at the final product and figure its all worth it I try and put a good spin on alot of things, after a decade or so of pain you have to. I cant do much to hide the lower shoulder but do try and pull my shoulders back to stand up straighter to hide the hump, of course this makes my lower back hurt but oh well.

I posted before that I've had this for most of my life and well its who I am. Sucked when I was in middleschool, kids making fun of the hump, but I survived. Just look at myself and figure this is the hand I was dealt, some have it much worse, so I'm happy. I see you're about 16...just enjoy life, good friends, lots of fun, stay healthy and its all about self confidence. Mine was shot for quite sometime but one day I just said screw it...you like me, good, you dont, to hell with you Other than the pain its all been good since. Hope this helps...stay strong buddy.

Comment

Help

Hello, I know exactly what kind of pain that you are talking about Ricontao. I have serve scoliosis too. My degress at the last time was 78. It takes me long time to do all my house work and take care of my three year old son. I try to take the five hours I have to myself (Monday_Thursday) while my son is at school. to do my housework. If you have any suggestion about how to deal with the pain. Please post.

Comment

Working...
        X