Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-fusion stabilization

Hi,
    I am writing about my husband, who is 38 and has kyphoscoliosis. I have been searching the web for any new techniques for treating this, since I believe that fusion surgery is barbaric and antiquated, especially since they are coming up with non-fusion stabilization for other spinal problems. Does anyone know of a doctor or spine center that is utilizing new techniques?

Originally posted by taylorperot
    Hi,
    I am writing about my husband, who is 38 and has kyphoscoliosis. I have been searching the web for any new techniques for treating this, since I believe that fusion surgery is barbaric and antiquated, especially since they are coming up with non-fusion stabilization for other spinal problems. Does anyone know of a doctor or spine center that is utilizing new techniques?
    Hello, I had surgery 21 years ago and do not have kyphoscoliosis - but I am seeing a doctor at USC Medical center in Los Angeles county - It seems like they do have options for more than just fusion - Good luck!!

Comment

Um I haven't heard of any surgery other than fusion besides the titanium rib, and that's used on children who can't compromise their growing. The reason that fusion is used is because the metal rods will hold it in place for a while but can't handle the pushing and pulling of every day life. They'll eventually snap from metal fatigue and then the spine would likely returned to its curved position. A nonfusion surgery would be great though
      I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

My 14 y.o. daughter had surgery 9 months ago to correct her Kyphoscoliosis and I did a lot of research before agreeing to surgery and I really didn't find any options except for the fusion with rods.

Mary Lou

Comment

Our 17 yr old daughter had kyphosis surgery in March. After lots of research, the successful surgery for Kyphosis seems to be with rods. Doctors don't even give as much reassurance about correction with kyphosis as they do scoliosis. Remember, kyphosis is different than scoliosis and it is harder to treat. I have two daughters with it. One received surgery, the other one wears a brace which I am not sure it is helping much. Our middle daughter has scoliosis, which is a wait and watch situation right now. So, we have researched on kyphosis for two of our daughters and scoliosis for the third one. I guess I don't look at the rods and fusion as barbaric. Our daughter now has beautiful posture and is extremely proud of her scar and rods, as she feels better now. She doesn't hurt like she used to.

Comment

Working...
          X