scapula pain-hands up who hates it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scapula pain-hands up who hates it?

hi, just wanted to know, and hear from people who also have pain that feels more like tension because of their scoliosis. I have scoliosis, i have a double major curve and my spine is also twisted a bit. I get 'pain' that feels like tension around my right scapula and under it, anyone get that? I think its because of muslces being over stretched because of the curve and muscles over working to try and manage the curvature of the spine. well anyway just wanted to hear from people who understand what I'm saying. Isn't that tension 'pain' annoying, because it's not like you're actually tense about anything thats going on in your life but your back just feels really tense and if you stretch it out it can hurt and it also makes me feel uncomfortable when i first lie down in bed. Anyone else understand???thanks -x-

That pain has been the bane of my existence for most of my life and is exacerbated by the things I do most...reading, sewing, working on the computor, however, my biggest fear is that it will mask cardiac symptoms. I had episodes some years back which caused my doc to order cardiac testing, but nothing was found. That being said, I lost my brother at age 51 to a massive coronary, my father has had multiple bypass surgery and my mother's family, including her, has coronary and hypertension problems. On top of all that, my total cholesterol is high due to abnormally high HDL, ( I'm awaiting results of recent labs to determine if I fall into a risk category based on new guidelines). Incidentally, I also have GERD, the symptoms of which are also in the same area, so most of my "pain" is discounted as stomach related. Since females have coronary symptoms in their stomachs, backs and shoulders, I feel very nervous at every twinge. This probably doesn't make you feel any better--just know that you're not alone--we all hate the discomfort, disfigurement and uncertainty of scoliosis!!!

Comment

AMEN TO THAT!

ANd I hate to say out loud "my back hurts" because people think yo are just having the typical back pain, instead of living with this misery.
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes exacltly, i hate to complain about it but its just so annoying. Plus peolpe sometimes think that there isn't really any pain with certain types of scoliosis and they think 'why do they need to go to hospital if they don't have pain?' but people don't know the constant 'tension' type feeling of pain. grrr! sometimes i just need to rant this to ppl that will understand sooo glad others know what I'm talking about. There's only so much that close friends that you may tell these things to can understand, but they don't really. thanks everyone!

Comment

I have this type a pain too. I can't stand it some days. Hopefully we'll find some relief soon.
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

yes, i can't stand it right now, it takes me a long time to get comfortable in bed because of my uneven painful back. And especially recenty i have a lot of pain around my right scapula. Even doing something like the washig up can hurt my back, anyone else know what i mean?

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I often rotate my shoulder. That relieves the pain for a few minutes. My shoulder will usually crack when I'm rotating it. That's the only thing that has helped me so far. Oh and putting a heat pad on it can help, but I've heard that may not be good for muscle pain if the muscle is swollen. Oh well.
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2

Comment

i've been trying all sorts of things tonight to try get the pain to stop, but no amount of strtching or rotating of my shoulder was doing it so eventually i just sat on the couch quite still for a long time and i'm feeling better now, i wonder how long it will last! I got really angry tonight at my back, but i'm glad there are other ppl like you who know what i mean about this pain.

Comment

I hope you are feeling better soon. I do know what it's like. Sometimes I'm in complete agony. Since I've gone back to college, my back hasn't been hurting as much. I know it's because I'm not waitressing 5 days a week anymore.

It makes me so upset that nothing can be done for people with mild to moderate scoliosis (my curve is 37 degrees). I want to go into either pharmaceutical or medical research. Maybe I should look into doing scoliosis research.
                  Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                  2003- 33 degrees
                  2005- 37 degrees
                  2006- 44 degrees
                  May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                  Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Can definately relate to those that say they do not want to "complain" to anyone about their back. I currently work at a very busy dental office. I experience more pain with sitting in an office chair than with standing so do not have a chair at all. Spend the day hunched over at a computer or counter, which I think we can all agree isnt good for anyone let alone those with back problems. Yet at the end of everyday I stand smiling and listening to the hygentist and assistants complain about sitting on their ass all day and having to lean over a patient. Makes me want to smack them, and sometimes I do throw a smart ass remark, but otherwise just smile and walk away. Thanks for the rant

Comment

Hi all,
                      have to agree with every single one of you!
                      What really bugs me is trying to explain the pain.
                      When you do something physical (for me over the weekend, gardening), you're fine at the time of doing it, but later on in the day and the next day, you're wiped out (at least that's what I get). My muscles will seize up and give me tension pain a few hours after hard work, and they'll stay that way for more than 24hrs at times (depending on what I've been up to).
                      People expect things to hurt straight away. They can't comprehend why I am paying now when I was doing all the activity 36hrs ago. But that's just how the tension-type pain we're talking of seems to operate.
                      You just don't know you've done too much until it's too late!

Ta,
                      Martin Hughes

Comment

I have that pain under my right shoulder too. I get it from sitting or lying still for too long (reading, working, sometimes lying down). I call it stabby, because it feels like a knife blade between the ribs and the shoulderblade. I find that yoga helps, particularly lying on a boulster or pillow folded in half lengthways (placed down the middle of the spine, or the closest approximation I have)!

Hope this helps

Comment

thanks everyone for their replys, i'm glad other ppl can understand what i'm talking about. You just can't explain it to other ppl, excpt ppl with scoliosis who know exactly what u mean.

Comment

pain is sometime unbearable

Ok i am new to this forum thing but i figured this would be the best place to figure things out until my next doctors appt. I am 25 and was diagnosed around the age of 13. Last time i went to the doc was a year ago. Due to things going on in my life i havent gone back in awhile, but i will soon. The last time i went i found out my curves were somewhere in the fifty on top and sixty on the bottom. THe doctor told me that as an adult if it doesnt turn then i wont have to have surgery. Does this sound right? i thought that was a pretty bad turn. Not to mention as a child you get it somewhere around 45. I also am having major back pain at work and after. Sometimes it is so bad i can't stand straight. Forget about lying on the floor. If i am on my stomach reading i can't get back up it hurts so bad. Does anyone else feel like this? Should i be really worried? Is there anything i can do?

Comment

Originally posted by GlidingDragon80
                              Forget about lying on the floor. If i am on my stomach reading i can't get back up it hurts so bad. Is there anything i can do?
                              Yeah... don't do that! ;-) Seriously, laying on your stomach is really bad for anyone with back problems.

THe doctor told me that as an adult if it doesnt turn then i wont have to have surgery.
                              I think s/he probably meant that if your curves don't worsen, you might be able to avoid surgery.

Since you're having increased pain, it might be a good time to make an appointment with your doctor and investigate whether surgery is a good option for you.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X