can you only have surgery if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you only have surgery if...

hi just wondering, can you only have surgery if you need it, in otherwords if you're curve is over a certain number of degrees?

Rincotato...

If you look long enough and hard enough, you'll find someone who will do surgery. I'm fairly certain that that's not a surgeon I'd want to perform such a big surgery.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Surgery should only be done if the scoliosis is painful and/or over 50 degrees. No need to get surgery done for nothing or cosmetic reasons. It's a hard procedure with lifelong consequences.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Mine was done because the curves had progressed over the past 10 years. I had no real pain associated with my scoliosis, but the progression was worrysome to everyone involved.

Comment

Working...
        X