Dr. Minster & other Michigan surgeons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Minster & other Michigan surgeons

Anybody have any experience with surgeons in Michigan? I was referred to Dr. Minster out of St. Johns, but want to know all my options.

Any and all Michigan related info appreciated!

Thanks!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Michigan Surgeons

I saw Dr. Stanley Lee at U of M and am considering surgery with Dr. Rowe in Kalamazoo. He has a wonderful bedside manner and has been doing this surgery for many years. He is very booked though. Also, an excellent surgeon in Kalamazoo is Dr. Michael Kasten. I am moving to the Detroit area in about six months from Kalamazoo. The change will be hard but am looking forward to it.

Becky

Comment

I had surgery done by Dr Herkowitz of Beaumont (Royal Oak). I also saw Dr Montgomery of Royal Oak whom I was less than pleaed with but I know a woman who was a patient of his and is happy with him.
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

I feel a little better about my research then. I found those two Drs. (Herkowitz and Lee) while browsing on my own. Glad to hear there are people out there with experience with them. I called this afternoon and made an appointment for a second opinion with Dr. Herkowitz. I need to get my PCP to get me into Lee, since I guess they only take appointments by physician referral. Want to get several opinions if I am to go under the knife!

Thanks!
        Meg is Spinewhine
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Just a little heads up... Herkowitz may not be doing scoliosis surgeries anymore- somebody on another forum mentioned that. Not sure if it's true or not.
          However, if you can get in to see him, I cannot recommend him strongly enough. The man is my miracle maker! His bedside manor isn't exactly tops (he's very very businesslike- don't expect coddled), but he and his staff seem to know their stuff. I had an unusual case (a ton of adult progression on a curve that was very minimal until I was 19 years old) so had a lot of tests done to try to figure out what ws causing it and if it was something that could be fixed without such a drastic surgery as scoliosis surgery. But when all options were exhausted, he did not beat around the bush about surgery being the best option. I got a fantastic correction of a 52 degree thorcolumbar crve The fused part is very comfortably under 10 degrees. He opted to leave most of my lumbar spine alone (only fused to L1) to preserve my flexibility, so my lumbar spine is still slightly crooked, but it is stable and I am very happy with it!
          Blair

Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.

Comment

Ooohh... that would be a waste of time then? Maybe I should call and double check about Herkowitz. I just called and said I wanted to see the Dr. for a second opinion about surgery, but didn't specify what kind of surgery. And they didn't ask. Hmmmmm...

My curve was supposedly stable too, at about age 21. But I went back to ortho b/c it has been hurting so bad, and sure enough my curve nearly doubled in degree. So... here I am, debating surgery, since I want to prevent the curve from getting really bad as I age.
            Meg is Spinewhine

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

did you get a hold of Herkowitz's office? I honestly hope that he still handles scoliosis cases- he did such a wonderful job on my back. It'd be a pity to lose a good scoliosis surgeon like him!
              Blair

Comment

hey!! i live in michigan!! but i dont have scoliousis my friend does tho.. im on her account right now hehe umm there are some great stuff 4 scoliousis there tho... um like if yur interested in water therapy thers a place called spectum healths woman and kids center..well they have water therapy there and my friend goes there she says its pretty fun!!
                Last edited by tru trust; 09-04-2005, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Ok - well, I called back the Beaumont office and Herkowitz indeed no longer does scoliosis surgery. But, I did get an appt with Dr. Kurz in the same office. His creds don't seem quite as strong though?

http://www.beaumonthospitals.com/pls...info?p_id=3401

As opposed to who gave my first consult: Dr. Minster at St. John?
                  http://www.stjohn.org/PhysiciansDire...lic=4301056116

Just seems that I didn't know a Beaumont fellowship is as highly regarded as a fellowship at Tulane. Thoughts?
                  Meg is Spinewhine

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

That is horribly disappointing!
                    I belive I saw Kurz at my last checkup briefly. He seemed a nice enough guy. But I cant really say I know anything about him. It never hurts to have another opinion, but if you do see him, ask him how much experience he has with scoliosis surgeries
                    Blair

Comment

Working...
                    X