exercise-1.5 year post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exercise-1.5 year post op

Im sure this has been discussed before but i thought i would try anyway. I am in fair shape, i have a thin frame and dont weigh all that much but would like to start a regular exercise routine to stay in shape. Because of the rods drilled to my spine im concerned about what i can and can not do. Sit ups seem like a no-no. So do weight lifting (even light ones). As well as vigeorous cardio routines. I thought about Yoga and Pilaties but alot of that is bending and moving in ways i know i should not. So does anyone know of what some safe and helpful exercises that would be appropriate for someone 1.5 year post op? Any help would be greately appreciated!!!!

thanks
    -Jerilyn

I think it would be best to ask your doctor what type of exercise would be safe for you. Each patient has different limitations after surgery.

personally i had a fusion of 8 of my vertabre and 7 months later i was able to play full contact high school lacrosse. I was able to do light running after 4 months. My doctor said the only only long term exercise limitations i have are no intense yoga, no diving in to pools, and no power weight lifting (no of which i was really interested in anyway).

Comment

Jerilyn,

Depending on how far you are fused, you might not be able to do traditional sit-ups, however, my daughter has a long fusion and they had her doing "sit-ups" several months after surgery in physical therapy. Although she can't bend her back, they encouraged her to at least tighten her stomach muscles as though she were going to do a sit-up. We were told strong stomach muscles are helpful in supporting the back.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Miss Jerilyn,

Walk and walk and walk! For me, that is the most helpful.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

Working...
        X