Inversion tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inversion tables

I'm wondering if an inversion table would help? I have a mild s-curve and cervical lordosis, and have experienced pain for my entire adult life. Certain activities make the pain in my shoulder blades extreme, and recently my neck and shoulders have been particularly uncomfortable. Has anyone tried inversion therapy?

Inversion

I bought a table and thought it was helping, but my lower back starting hurting more than before, so I sold the table.

Comment

Can there really be only one other person out there who has tried inversion? It just seems as though it should help. After all, gravity is probably the biggest contributor to spinal compression, and what is scoliosis if not compression?

Comment

We have an inversion table that takes up space in my spare room. To me, the idea of hanging basically upside down will let the blood rush to my head, so I haven't tried it myself. My husband bought it, used it for awhile, and for months now I have just spent time tripping over it to get past it. It leans against the wall and I have to set it in the middle of a room to actually use it, so I imagine that is why he has lost interest in it recently. I have neck problems and mild scoliosis (about 10 degrees) and my daughter had spine surgery for scoliosis. My ortho prescribed a device for my neck which I hang over a door. It basically pulls my head up for a reasonable amount of time, which relieves stress in my upper body, without making my blood rush to my head. I would ask my doctor's opinion on what to do, if I were you. Good luck, Kris

Comment

Hello Kris

I am interested in this neck device you are talking about, since I have neck problems, as well as my hubby. Do you know the name of it? If not I will ask my family doctor or ortho, as I think it could be of help.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Ok, I see no problem.
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness, I just looked for my "stretcher" and will have to look harder to find it. I haven't used it very recently, basically since we decided to do the surgery route with my daughter. My own personal needs and desires have taken a step back to care for her. I hope your ortho has an idea of what the device is. I had gone to the physical therapist to lie down and be hooked up to a device that would stretch my upper body gradually and then he recommended I buy this device to do it at home instead. Unfortunately, I am only able to hang it on a door, then sit in a chair under it as it lifts my head. It was much more comfortable to lie on a bed and have my head stretched in a prone position. I fill the "bag" with water to a certain weight, according to the therapist, then hang it on a door and sit there as it pulls gently for awhile. I think it was $30 from my physical therapist at the orthopedic clinic. If you still need more info, I'll dig further. I wish it was easier to set up and take down, and I would use it again now. I found I couldn't just leave it hanging all the time because it put too much stress on the door to just leave it there, so now it is a pain to lift it and reset it every time. Hope this helps, Kris

Comment

Belstone,
                We have an inversion table, and our daughter who has cerebral palsy and just had total spinal fusion surgery 7 weeks ago, uses it all the time. For us we have used it to keep her spine stretched and her legs and all due to contractures and stuff due to her brain injury. We went for her 7 week check today and her ortho surgeon said she could get back in it now too. He said she could do anything except play football.
                Tracy
                Wife to Scott, the most incredible man God put on this earth, Mom to Joshua who is 16 1/2, Megan who is 11 with CP, seizure disorder, sleep apnea, coritcal visual impairment, non mobile, non verbal, and scoliosis, but the GREATEST blessing we could of ever hoped for,who had posterior spinal fusion surgery on July 19th, 2005, fused from neck to bottom and has the titanium union rod wired in place. and Jacob 3yrs.....Can't forget our16 mos old golden lab puppy, Molly.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply Kris

I have talked about it with my hubby and he does recall his PT using it on him, so I will get info there.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone--based on the discussion so far, I think the answer may be a combination of inversion at a moderate degree beyond lateral, combined with that neck traction device at the same time!! I wonder if that's possible? I guess it's time to see a doc. Does anyone know who to see in SE Michigan? Haven't seen anyone in 10 years or so for this stuff and even then, only saw a GP who sent me to PT. Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
                    X