Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mobility and pain level 6 weeks after surgery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobility and pain level 6 weeks after surgery.

My surgery (anterior and posterior) has been postponed twice. The first time was because ( I was told) I couldn't do autologous blood donations at the red cross because I have rosacea. So I arranged autologous donations with a private company and I had to change my surgery dates to accommodate 4 donations. Now the doctor wants to change my dates to the middle of November (the 15th and the 22nd). The problem is my daughter wants to go back to the US, and she would be going back to the US with my husband the first week in January. I am wondering if I will be able to take care of myself 6 weeks after surgery. I will just need to do hygiene and cook for myself. If I needed to go anywhere I would take a cab. Would I be able to get along by myself? I hate to disappoint my daughter, she's been waiting 2 years for this trip. My husband may have to travel after January and he would prefer I do the surgery ASAP. Any thoughts?

Hi Lindabar...

I had surgery at the age of 42, and at 6 weeks post-op I was able to do almost everything for myself with the exception of lifting or carrying heavy objects. So, if you could get someone to help you carry groceries, etc., you'll probably be fine. I've known plenty of adults who have been self sufficient by 2-3 weeks post-op.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

By the way, I have rosacea, and have never heard anything about there being a problem with autologous blood donation. How bizarre!

--LINDA
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I am certain you can cook and take care of personal hygiene at that stage post surgery. Of course maybe holding off on the gourmet and complicated dishes for a while would be helpful

Even if you are self sufficient I would recommend having someone you could call in case you need help or just want to take it easy on some harder tasks. You do need to concentrate on getting stronger and therefore taking time to exercise and having resting periods that are necessary.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

thanks for your replies

I don't know why the red cross excluded me from autologous donation, either. The official reason is that I might have bacteria in my blood from the rosacea that would multiply while the unit was in storage. My doctor told me that he would not operate if I had any big pimples, because it was compromise the OR, I thought that was reasonable. My cheeks do get very red, though. I've been using a presciption cream on my face since and the rosacea is almost gone.

Comment

Hi...

I've been using Metrogel (a prescription) for years, and it keeps the rosacea pretty well in check.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X