Being scheduled for MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being scheduled for MRI

is this common practice? Do all patients anticipating surgery have one?

I never had an MRI, but I've read about a few people that do. I think it just depends on your doctor and certain particulars of your condition. They may have reason to believe that your scoliosis is being caused by something that could be identified in an MRI.
    ~Carole~
    Used to have an S curve of 55 and 55, but now I'm...
    STRAIGHT-SPINED AND HAPPY!!!
    Surgery July 11th went well, and I'm recovering now!
    Feel free to email me--I'm a bracing and surgery veteran and I love to talk!

Comment

With all three of my surgeries I have never had an MRI. But everyones different and has special needs. I've just had many x-rays, a couple CT Scans, bone density test, and a bone scan.
      18 year old female
      scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
      corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
      After second surgery, fusion was a success.
      Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
      Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

My daughter's surgeon routinely does MRIs before surgery in case there is anything unusual going on in the back (other than the scoli) that might have to be dealt with first. For example, scoli is sometimes associated with fluid filled cavities in the spinal cord (syrinxes ? ) which need to be drained before fusion is done. He also feels that the MRI gives him a better picture of what to expect when he gets in there, so has them done as a matter of course.

If there was some indication that there might be more than scoli going on -- for example, neurological symptoms -- I think all doctors would want an MRI. Other than that, it really does seem to be personal preference.

Cheers - Patricia
        Patricia
        Scoli Mum from New Zealand
        Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
        Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Yesterday I had my third MRI but in my case its because my scoliosis has been caused by a birth defect. Before they operate they want to check that there is nothing else odd going on. The radiographer told me yesterday as well that I will probably have to have another one at around 6 months post op as well - bit of a scary idea with all that metal inside you!

From what I can gather, if you have idiopathic scoliosis it will depend on your surgeon's personal preference, but if a neurosurgeon is involved at any stage with your back it is much more likely that you will need an MRI.

I'm sure other people have more info on this than me, but hope my experience is a help.
          Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
          Post op 30(T)/33(L)
          http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

My daughter had both an MRI and a CT scan before surgery. Her doctor was looking at the size of her pedicles, which is where they place the screws during surgery, because at the time my daugther was 13, weighed about 88# and was about 4' 10" tall. Yeah, she is small.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
            X