Anterior/Poster Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior/Poster Surgery

I have never been on the board before so excuse me if I don't use the correct etiquette here. I have been corresponding with the author of the book "Scoliosis Surgery - The Definitive Patient's Reference" - David K. Wolpert and he suggested that I contact the message board here. I am having A/P surgery on Feb. 11th and Feb. 16th (posterior first, then anterior the second day) - and have yet to speak to anyone that has had this surgery. I've read everything I can find on it but still haven't heard directly from anyone on this - how they made it through, etc. All I've heard so far is that it will be the "worst year of my life" and how awful it will be. I'm 53 years old and didn't even know I had scoliosis until 3 years ago and didn't know I needed surgery until two months ago - so needless to say, this has all been a pretty big shock and adjustment period. I would love to actually hear from someone who has been through it and what they went through the first week or so, in the hospital, and then the first week or so after the hospital stay. I'm a firm believer in knowing what I'm facing ahead of time and would really like to hear any thoughts on this. Anyone that would be willing to contact me regarding this, I would deeply appreciate your advice, comments, and/or thoughts. My email is kmartin4802@austin.rr.com. Thanks.

Surgery

I will be having posterior surgeyry on February 17th, so I can't really give you input as to my experience. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope all goes well with your surgeries. Feel free to email me at mpiechota3@bresnan.net. I'm sure we could encourage one another after surgery. Good luck!

Angel

Comment

Hi Kmart...

I had anterior/posterior surgery when I was 42. You can read a summary of my story at:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/AboutMe.htm

By the way, my surgery was 12 years ago February 10th.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Re: Anterior/Poster Surgery

Hi. Good luck with your surgeries. I agree with you, I want to know ahead of time everything to expect when it comes to surgery, etc. My daughter is 12 and has Scoliosis. My advice to you is to go to the "under 18" part of this forum. The surgery for a child is probably pretty much the same for adults as for children. The teens on this forum are very frank and don't pull any punches about pain, recovery, etc.!

Comment

Hi...

Actually, the Under 18 section of this forum is meant for adolescents and teens with scoliosis. Parents and other family members should post messages in the Parents and Family Members forums.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Kmart,
            I'm 26 and I am also having post/anterior. I haven't set a date yet but I just wanted to wish you good luck and let you know you are not alone . please let me know how it goes.
            Leyda

Comment

Kmart,

I will be following closely on your case and other's advice for you. Our age are not that far (I am 57). I am mostly interested in above 50s experience. This forum has been very supportive and informative. Keep on posting and be encouraged in the fact that you are not alone with this problem.

Letty

Comment

Working...
              X