3 weeks 4 days post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks 4 days post-op

Hello everyone. I'm finally three weeks post op! It's amazing how we take the little things in life we do everyday for advantage. I'm so excited now that I can brush my hair all by myself! I have fairly long hair so brushing it and washing it has been quite a challenge. I'm still taking pain medication for the pain I still experience. The steri-strips have almost all fallen off already. However, the only thing I am experiencing now besides the pain is a congested cough. I'm coughing up green mucous (sorry for the gross-out) I contacted my GP on this matter because of the pain it is causing me everytime I coughed and the fact that I am coughing so much I would vomit. I'm now taking a decongestant, along with Vicodin. However, have any of you experienced a cough such as this after surgery?? How long did it last? What is it caused by?? Did any of you experience pain in your lungs when you'd inhale?? Oh, another thing... Would a cane be a worthwhile investment?? I can't walk like a normal person, I'm really stiff and I move like a turtle still. And I can't do it without holding onto my husband for support. Hmm.. one more thing while I'm on here do any of you women have any suggestions for easing the discomfort that wearing a bra brings on the incision cite?? My cut is red and irritated along the area of my back where the brastrap sits. Ummm.. well thank you all very much!

Godbless!
    Last edited by itsjustme; 08-20-2005, 03:46 PM.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Hi

I didn't have a cough, sorry about that. I said the same thing to people about moving like a turtle Just take it easy and don't do too much, you can go to the pool to start moving and walking in the water, and take a nice little walk everyday, since you're still early post op. About the bra, I didn't wear any for a long time after the surgery, pain is better left alone.

Take it easy
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Hi,
      I got through my recovery without a cain...but I did have trouble breathing in and out after surgery..I had pain in my lungs and I thought it was from my back..rebound pain..but in reality it was much more serious..It was a blood clot to the lung...if u have unexplained pain see your doctor.
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi...

I would definitely recommend against using a cane or a walker, at least without talking to your surgeon first. I've known two people who prescribed a cane for themselves, and who starting walking with a lean.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

I am trying to figure out why a cane/walker would cause people to lean. Is it because they lean forward to use a walker/cane and their spine is in the fusing process...the spine fuses forward? That really concerns me as I used both after my surgery.

Thanks,
          Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

Yes, I think it's because they have a tendency to lean to one side (as with a cane), or forward (with a walker). In both cases that I know of, the leaning was obvious.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

post op

Hi. After my surgery I remember being very stiff while walking. I wore a brace most of the day and took it off at nighttime. I did not wear a bra, just a t-shirt under the brace. (I'm flat-chested). I never had any sort of cough or pain in my chest while coughing. I did have some creeking sounds coming from my rib/chest area while breathing, but it didn't last and I checked with my doctor when it happened.
              I actually used a cane only when I started going out on my own. It was mostly just to alert others in cars that I could not walk fast...I figured I'd make myself out to be worse off than I really was, b/c I was nervous in parking lots, etc.

Heather
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

thanks very much for the advice. I suppose I'll call my surgeon first thing monday morning about this. And I guess I'll live like I was born in the 60's (going braless!)

Oh, by the way, after the surgery my other shoulder seems to be lopsided (like i'm leaning the other way now) however my spine is as straight as a poker face. Will that go away or am I doomed to look lopsided forever?

thanks again!
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

I have seen that mentioned before on here.
                  There's a good chance it's just your body adjusting (playing a balancing act)
                  The muscles have to get used to supporting your new spine and bounce back to where they were supposed to be in the first place (silly muscles! )

Of course every person is different and if you feel concerned about it, don't be scared to ask your surgeon
                  Age 28
                  diagnosed at age 12
                  wore a boston brace until age 14
                  No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
                  T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
                  L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
                  2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
                  2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

It's Just Me...Hi. My daughter was 20 when she had her surgery 3 months ago. I kept comparing her to the teenagers having the surgery because she is a college athlete and very active and fit. However we have found her recovery to be more on the adult level. I remember at 3 - 4 weeks expecting a big turning point and it really didn't happen until 6-7 weeks. She was very stiff and sore but didn't use a cane. She just tried to move around the house and go for outings to the store as her body would tolerate. The pool is a good idea. She did start swimming laps in a pool using a kick board and trying to tread water for short times at about 4 weeks. Her Dr. released her to do anything her body would tolerate at 6 weeks (which I don't really understand or agree with) but she went out to a track and tried to jog a few times and ended up in bed for a week. She's now back at college and has the go ahead to play soccer!? She can't imagine getting to that place again. But she is improving slowly. Hang in there, and keep moving as you can. My daughter wore a soft sports bra type of bra until just recently. She has used Mederma on her scar religiously until just recently as well and her scar looks really good. Her right shoulder was a little below her left shoulder pre op and now it is a little higher than than her left. I'm told everything is still shifting. Good Luck.
                    Linda

Comment

Linda,
                      I never thought of the leaning forward thing as being a result of using a walker which I had for a couple of weeks after surgery. I have noticed that I tend to lean forward a bit when sitting at work at the computer...then again I'm fused to L4 and feel less pressure on my back when I lean forward a bit. If I try to sit up straight, I feel a pulling sensation in my very low back. I'm not sure if I lean forward when walking though...I'll have to see tomorrow as I walk around at work!

Comment

Hi Heidi...

The physical therapist should have made certain that you weren't leaning over to use the walker. And, I think there's not much going on in terms of fusion in the first few weeks, so hopefully you're OK.

Regards,
                        Linda

Comment

Thanks Linda. I have noticed today that when standing and walking, I feel better standing straight and feel the pressure if I lean forward at all, so hopefully, that's a good sign.

The height of the walker was fitted by the therapists in the hospital, and I'm pretty sure it was at the right height. My husband is a mechanical engineer and his mom is a nurse and both were really involved in knowing the ins and outs of any equipment I used, so if something didn't look to fit right, I'm sure they would have had it adjusted.

Any leaning I did was pretty minimal. I really only used the walker to walk laps around the first floor of the house a few times a day to get me up and moving around. Other than that, I usually had my husband help me around. I would start to lean when I was getting tired during my laps and usually laid down when I got to that point. So hopefully that bit of leaning didn't do any permanent damage. God I'm paranoid now!

People do mention to me that I stand and sit much straighter than I ever did before...so apparently, I'm the only one who notices the leaning forward while sitting...then again, I notice every little thing these days!

Comment

Working...
                          X