More brace questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More brace questions...

I'm supposed to be in the brace 23/7 but I can't bare to wear it for more than 9-10 hours. It hurts so bad on the side of my left rib cage. I wake up every morning with a huge red mark there. It feels like I got bruised there. I have to take faster but smaller breaths so the brace doesn't press against that area as hard, its getting pretty troublesome. Is this normal or should I loosen the pressure?

I think you should wear your brace a bit looser. Also, talk to your orthotist. He or she can probably fix it so you can wear it comfortably. And you really need to wear the brace for the amount of time your doctor tells you to. If you're only wearing it for 10 hours, it's not gonna hold your curve. After all, the brace only works when it's on.

Comment

Oh, so the pain should not be there? I'll ask my mom to schedule an appointment then. I can't handle my brace like this for 23 hours a day.

Comment

How long have you been wearing your brace? (Like when did you get it?)
        I remember it being really painful until my muscles got used to it. My curves were already T-52 and L-38 when I first got my brace.
        When it doubt though, check with your doctor for sure. He might be able to make it more comfortable. Nothing is worse than trying to wear something you just can't stand wearing.. it's like high heels!
        Age 28
        diagnosed at age 12
        wore a boston brace until age 14
        No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
        T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
        L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
        2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
        2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

I've had it for a 8 days. I think the left side is too small for my left rib cage. (I have a left curve.)

Comment

I have the sme kinda curve. I have this pad thing in there on the left side and it kind of bothers me, but that's ok. I haven't gotten up to 9 hours yet. The first day i wore it for 1 hour the next day for 2 and today i wore it for 5. tomorrow is the first day of school and I don't have to wear it because we have a half day and i can put it on as soon as i get home. did you have to do this? I mean, like add one hour each day until you get to a certain hour? I have to wear it 20 out of twenty four hours eventually.
            Listen my child to this story of dreams
            ~:~ For the beginning is more difficult than it seems
            When the ten daughters are reunited in order
            ~:~ When the four sided box loses it's border
            When eye of the pheonix is in your hand
            ~:~ When the bird of fire can see again
            When the moon sleeps and the sun plays
            ~:~ When the king of the sky shines his ray
            Underneath a river of colors
            ~:~Lies a gate to golden wonders

I luv Gilmore Girls!!!

Comment

Yeah, I had to add an hour each day also. I can wear it full time now, it still doesn't feel like "a part of me", though. Pain is getting better, and I think my back is actually becoming straighter.. atleast, that's what my mom said. Some days, I have karate, so I can't wear it for the full 23 hours. One more question, the pressure pads are there to help with the twisting of the spine, right?

Comment

I just got a second brace, and unlike my old brace, there was a HUGE indentation in the back. I went through the same thing you did. It IS painful. The first few days, I couldn't even sit in it it hurt so much. If it really starts to hurt, try to wear it lying down, and see if that helps. And yes, the pads are there to stop the twisting. I just saw my orthotist yesterday and he said since I got my brace (about 9 months ago) the twisting in my spine is MUCH better. ^^

Comment

Damn it, I just came back from the doctor. My curve went from 24 and 23 to 28 and 20. It turns out the brace needs adjustment, and we scheduled an appointment next Tuesday to adjust it. The pads need to be higher, and I need shoulder straps. I didn't think it would get so much worse in a period of 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                  X