Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Goin' In!

Hi Everyone!

After months of soul searching, this 53 year old woman has decided to have the surgery. I have a 44 degree thoracic curve and 25ish compensary, rib hump, stenosis, and degenerative discs. I have read a lot of your stories, and it has helped me feel less alone, although making the decision for surgery is still a very personal, hard choice to make, no matter how many went before you. Besides trusting in my Dr., I realize that my curve will never get better, nor will my insurance or personal support system. I wish there was a better solution, but there isn't, and I've S-L-O-W-L-Y come to grips with that I will write when I can and let you know how things went. Hopefully I can help someone else who's going through the agony of being "on the fence." Thanks again for taking the time to share part of your lives with me.
    Sharon
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Our cases are very similar....

Hi Sharon!
    Just to let you know ....I'm pretty much in the same situation you are. Trying to keep working full-time, but it's difficult. I've been advised to have surgery within the next year. I'll be 50 and this is surgery for the first time!
    It's really been getting me down. The stenosis seems to have brought on numbness and leg pain. Just started taking Celebrex and it seems to be helping. Pain is a constant - in varying degrees- every day.
    Let's keep in touch and get through this together.

CSC
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hi Sharon...

Wanted to let you know that you posted in the Adolescent & Teen area. If you want to post in the Adult section, go here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Couldn't find My Way

Thanks Linda,
        But I was lucky to get posted at all! I had a heck of a time trying to find how to simply make a new post (not a private message.) Not sure how to accomplish this still.....
        Singing the Blues
        Female 1951
        A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.

Comment

Misery Loves Company

So good to hear from you CSC.
          I was down to 32 hours a week for quite some time, and that was really hard. I should tell you that I have also have fatigue and long term anxiety, but the scoli problems were just the last straw!
          Old age aint all it's cracked up to be.
          Where do you live? I'd like to keep in touch.
          Sharon
          Singing the Blues
          Female 1951

Comment

good luck sharon c

hi at 56 i don't think i ever want to have surgery
            but support your decision and will think about you on those dates
            what tipped the scales for your decision?? i care understand that 'getting off the fence' would be a relief in itself
            barbara
            double major curve
            primary left thoracolumbar atT10-L3 60degree and lesser right thoracic at T4-T10 48degree
            no surgery
            degenerative disc disease throughout, Thoracic & Lumbar spondylosis and some stenosis

Comment

Nowhere to go But Up

Barbara,

I was DEFINITELY not going to get the surgery, then maybe, then...What a nightmare! There is some relief in just making the decision, but today in the grocery store, I felt surreal looking at the items on the shelf knowing that it would be a long time before I could do something even this simple again. Everything looks different now. But I'm not going to get better by wishin' and hopin'. I'm just tired of waiting for the other shoe to drop. My MD and my husband/close friends and I have weighed the options this way and that. I want to do this now while I'm in relatively good health and get it behind me. I still have a lot to offer and a lot of life to live. Can't wait 'til I can shimmy out on the dance floor again!
              Best wishes to you!
              Sharon
              Singing the Blues
              Female 1951

Comment

i'd like to hear over the next few months how it goes post op

i'd like to hear how it goes post op and so on
                6 years ago they recommended extensive fusion and instrumentation.....among other reasons i just didn't have the support....but i do alot of various exercise and pain meds and acupuncture to keep me sane realatively i hope but continued work as an RN is not possible now
                so maybe i will learn from your courage to go for it

i know what you mean about the little things a while back i wascouldn't drive after having a broken hip and i was holding up fine until i couldn't get a ride to the thrift shop one day then i burst into tears it wasn['t the thrift shop just the realization that i was dependent for a while
                but that got better and again good luck
                barbara
                Last edited by Barbara60/48; 08-15-2005, 12:14 PM.
                double major curve
                primary left thoracolumbar atT10-L3 60degree and lesser right thoracic at T4-T10 48degree
                no surgery
                degenerative disc disease throughout, Thoracic & Lumbar spondylosis and some stenosis

Comment

Flip A Coin

Hi Barbara,

I just saw my "second" opinion today, a surgeon recomended by my anesthesiologist son-in-law. A really great guy, who is like most, cautiously optomistic about this very serious surgery. It has simply come down to the point where I will either go on disability or get this surgery. The doc said "well, you may still go on disability after the surgery." I hate it when they talk like that! But he agreed that my husband and I are not taking this lightly and have researched as much as we can. The thing is that the surgery will stop the curve, and probably alleviate SOME of the pain, but not all. And I'd like to hear from some others out there who have had the surgery and years later develop pain above or below, as is wont to happen. What then?? I'm still very scared, but I've made up my mind and will try to enjoy the next 2 days before I step into the twilight zone.

Thanks for your support,

Sharon
                  Singing the Blues
                  Female 1951

Comment

Let's get through this together....

It is nice to make a decision. It just seems so strange. Surgery was not something that was advised. It was always "wait and see" or "you might never need it." Now it is a definite thing in my future. I had a bone scan done at Costco this last weekend. It showed that my bones are at the farthest range- + side for density. The consulting doctor said, "bones like a teen-ager."
                    Then he went on about how surgeons complain when operating on someone like me- how they have to saw and saw! I told him ENOUGH. I was scared enough as it is about my possible surgery next spring.
                    Anyway- y'all take care!
                    CSC
                    CSC
                    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
                    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Hold Everything!!!

Unbelievably, I woke up the day before my scheduled surgery with a toothache, and ended up seeing a dentist on an emergency basis who said "NO SURGERY FOR YOU!" not unlike the soup nazi on Seinfeld. I had managed to get an abscess in the night! I see the dentist 1st tomorrow, followed by my back surgeon to re-schedule everything. I've been walking around in a daze, and trying to keep my head from blowing up with all the stress! I felt relieved until I realized I still have to have the surgery, just not right now. I also filed for disability today. I'm hoping all goes well, and the surgery will "magically" help cure my anxiety, depression, and fatigue, but I've got the ball rolling just in case God's all out of miracles.
                      Regards to All,
                      Sharon
                      Singing the Blues
                      Female 1951

Comment

Working...
                      X