View Full Version : my parents didn't believe me

01-27-2004, 01:15 PM
My folks never bothered to listen to my complaints when i was little about how bad my back had always bothered me. Then I started to notice how much more one hip stuck out compared to the other, and how my rib cage was way out of wack. Well, they finally took me in for x-rays and i have a 29 degree curve, but they are telling me that its too late to do anything now and that insurance doesnt cover anything like this to treat it even if it were treatable. i dont make enough money to take this upon myself. Does anyone know of any cheap ways I can stop the pain? Even if it's just one pain-free day?

01-27-2004, 01:54 PM
Jessica , depending on your age, your curve may be treatable by a brace. If money is a problem you can be seen at Shriners Hospitals around the country for free! Don't ever take one physician's word. Do some research and share it with your parents. There are proactive things you can do for your pain like exericse. Look at the web site www.yogaforscoliosis

01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi Jessica...

What kind of insurance do you have? Major medical insurance should cover any visits to an orthopaedic or neurologist.

With that said, a 29 degree curve should not cause you any pain, or require any treatment in someone who is skeletally mature. Since you have pain, you should be seen by a spine specialist to try to figure out the cause.


Mary Lou
01-28-2004, 06:35 AM
Hi Jessica. May I ask how old you are? The reason I ask is that there are many wonderful Shriner's Hospital out there that treat patients who are, I believe, 21 years old and younger for free! From what I understand, they have very good doctors as well. Good luck.

01-28-2004, 11:57 AM
The Shriners treat kids up to the age of 18.


04-23-2004, 10:54 PM
I was sad to read of your're parents denial. My parents did the same thing til it was too late.
I have a 40 degree curve in the upper and 25 in the lower.
For pain I use a muscle relaxer ( Rx ) Ibuprofen and tylenol and have found moist heat helps mine.
I think you need to see some one about the pain. Even with no insurance a state hospital or medical college will take people at a reduced fee, sometimes as low a $1 per visit.
Good luck, I feel your pain