Tens unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tens unit

Hi, my name is Nancy and I just joined this forum trying to find out some information on the tens unit. I am 26 and have had back pain my whole life, I have Scoliosis of an 8 degree curve, which they say is not a lot but no one can tell me why my back hurts all the time. I recently had an MRI done showing 6 buldging disks and some space narrow between 2 disk, but they said that this should not be causing pain and have recomended trying a tens unit, if that does not work then they want to try epidural injections or acupuncture. I have no idea what to do and no body can tell me why my back hurts. I have been on every kind of pain medication and muscle relaxer that you can think of and was hopping that some or all of these have helped somebody out and they could give me some information. Thanks Nancy.

Hi Nancy...

You might look at a couple of books by John Sarno, "Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection" and "Mind over Back Pain: A Radically New Approach to the Diagnosis and Treatment of Back Pain." He's a spine surgeon who found many patients such as yourself (whose MRIs show no real reason for pain) and believes that your back hurts because you expect it to hurt, and the tension from expecting it to hurt is actually what is causing the pain. I've heard from several people who have been helped by him.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I know why it Hurts!!!

I know why your back hurts. It happens alot to people with small curves. You see people with big curves sometimes have no pain because their curve is in their thoraic back(upper). Though if your curve is in your lower back no matter how small the curve is it is bound to hurt. I don't know why this is but it's true. I hope I have helped.
      Yours Truly,
      Clara

Comment

Hi Clara...

That's not always true. My largest curve is in my lumbar area, and caused absolutely no pain until it was over 45 degrees. Very small curves rarely cause pain. In fact, pain can cause a temporary small scoliosis.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

every'body' is different

from the looks of these responses we all have varied experiences

to nemge99: pain is by definition subjective so i believe that just 'cause the reason is not apparent doesn't change the reality of pain for you
          that said
          i also think that our state of mind can effect the way we experience pain and just about everything else in our lives
          why not try each of the suggestions Tens and or acupuncture if they work for you who cares why? at least you will be looking towards a "solution" rather than being frustrated by all the "why"s
          i have had some releif from each of them over the years and still use both at times good luck
          Last edited by Barbara60/48; 08-14-2005, 10:43 PM.
          double major curve
          primary left thoracolumbar atT10-L3 60degree and lesser right thoracic at T4-T10 48degree
          no surgery
          degenerative disc disease throughout, Thoracic & Lumbar spondylosis and some stenosis

Comment

Working...
          X