Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concerned

hello!
    Im 16 and I had surgery a year ago to cure a 72 degree curve and a 43 degree curve. Since then the lower curve has not gotten better. I have been givin a brace to wear at night (which i cant stand wearing-its so hard to breath) I rarely rare my brace and I fear I am not taking good care of myself and my recently treated back. After a year I am still unclear as what I can and cannot (should not!) do. I have been feeling a bit of discomfort over the past few months and am concerned about myself. Could anyone offer any advice as to how I should limit my flexability/activity? Or any helpful hints on learning to sleep with a brace? Also, I was wondering, for those who are adults and had the surgery years ago, how is it now? Are you limited? Are you in good shape?
    So many questions.
    Thanks in advance for any answers
    -jerilyn

(ps. just out of curiosity is there anyone from Michigan? and did anyone have there surgery performed by Dr. Jeffrey J. Settecerri?)

(p.s.s. also, because of my age my surgen did not want to encourage the answers to a couple of my questions reguarding tattoos and peircings-does anyone know if peircings and tattoos are a possibility after surgery?)
    Last edited by missjerilyn; 08-13-2005, 08:09 PM.

Hi missjerilyn,

I personally love tattoos and have a few piercings, BUT...

As far as piercing, I would make sure you get a dose of prophylactic antibiotics just to be safe, same with tattoos. I would talk to you primary doc if your surgeon won't talk to you about this. Just like dental work, a piercing or tattoo could expose you to infection. Please be aware that you need to be very cautious about who you allow to give you a piercing or a tattoo. Many people find that they are exposed to Hepatitis C or other infectious diseases when getting a piercing or a tattoo. Some providers might not clean their equipment like they should, or they might re-use ink bottles. Please don't risk your life and your future just for a fashion statement!

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Take Susanna's advice. My daughter is 8 months post-op and had planned on getting her ears pierced tomorrow for one of her birthday presents and her doctor told her NO WAY! I never would have thought that much about piercings. I would have pre-medicated her and left her go. Her doctor said that there is a high risk of infection even if you take very good care of the piercing site. I know Jamie won't be getting her ears pierced until after we see her surgeon for her one year check-up.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Jerilyn...

You should check with your surgeon about your activities if you want real medical advice, but I got some answers about post-surgery activities, and have put a chart up on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey... sorry things aren't going so well for you...

I'm in Michigan, but I had my surgery by Dr. Herkowitz....
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Pre medication

I would not have thought about needing to be pre medicated prior to piercing etc. Can you tell me if this is a life long requirement after spinal surgery or just within the "recovery period"?

My 14 year old daughter will be having anterior and prosterior fusion for a 75 degree curvature sometime in Novemeber. I am curious if she will need to be pre medicated for dental visits post and for how long. Thanks.....Lisa

Comment

Lisa,

The only reason I thought about having Jamie pre-medicated before getting her ears pierced is because her doctor wants her pre-medicated for dental appts., some orthodontist appts., etc. (basically for anything that could cause bleeding) for one year post op.

Jamie's doctor never told us about pre-medicating her until I asked him before her surgery. The reason I knew to ask him is because my Mom has artificial knee joints and she needs to be pre-medicated before dental appts. for the rest of her life. Jamie's surgeon said one year for her because he does it as a precaution. He says that unlike the knees, the back is pretty much self contained and is at less risk of infection than the knees, for example.

Just to be sure, ask your daughter's doctor if he wants her pre-medicated before appointments and if so for how long. Some doctors don't pre-medicate and some do.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi,

My doctor told me absolutly no body peircings or tatoos, he just told me this i didn't have to ask, but anyway he said not to have body peircings and tatoos
                Erika
                Posterior spinal fusion 2001
                52* before first surgery
                23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
                33* before surgery
                30* after surgery

Comment

Working...
                X