alternative treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative treatments

Does anyone truely know (by experience) effective scoliosis treatments other than bracing and surgery. I have come across some such as ASCO etc. but how do I know it's not a hoax, or if it's effective? I hate sitting around and doing nothing, thinking that the brace is only preventing my curve, not treating it. It's frustrating because I can't see my curve getting better, I don't feel the brace correcting my posture when I'm wearing it.
    > Diagnosed at age 4
    > Braced at age 5
    > 35 degree curve somewhere, sounds funny but yes, I forget where...
    > Avid horseback rider

Personal Experience With Asco

My daughter is 12 years old and had a curve of 11 thoracic and 15 lumbar. I took her to the ASCO treatment with Dr. Formisano in Chester, NJ. She did it diligently and also did her home exercises. After 6 weeks, her curve decreased to 8 thoracic and 8 lumbar. That is a big difference. In my estimation, the therapy was very successful and took her out of the bracing category for the time being. She is following up with her exercises. I would highly recommend it and thank G-d that something alternative is available. She also got much stronger and her posture improved.

Comment

ASCO sham

I do not trust the measurements. There is a margin of error by several degrees and even differ between morning and evening or standing and laying down.

I think it is an expensive sham with slick advertising. No one has proven PERMANENT improvement/arresting of curves using those techniques.

Have your daughter's curve monitored by a scoliosis doctor not involved with ASCO for your daughter's protection.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I'd also like to know some more treatments, I feel the same way.

Comment

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

Hi
          I've been trying OMM for only the past 4 months. It helps with the pain and worked better than chiropractic for me. It's a combination of accupressure, massage, and adjustments that treat the whole patient. It WON'T correct the curves but MAY slow down the rate of curvature
          Good luck!
          Jenn
          37 y/o female
          60 degree lumbar
          45 degree thoracic
          1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
          T 5 to S 1
          NYC

Comment

Working...
          X