No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone,

My name is Larissa and I'm 20 years old almost 21 . I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Scoliosis back when I was 12 years old in 1996. When I was diagnosed my spine had already curved under my right shoulder blade. The only treatment was to under go surgery. I was treated at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas Texas. My Doctor's name was Dr. Johnston. I remember feeling scared because I didn't really understand what was happening to me at the time. The surgery went as planned and I was only supposed to continue to see him for 2 years. In 1998 I went to what was supposed to be my last visit but when they took the x-rays they noticed that I was missing my last lumbar vertebra and that my lumbar had started to curve. My doctor told me he wanted to go back in and extend the rods down to my tail bone but this time he also said that he wanted to remove a rib to use as a fusion. The surgery date was set for January 21, 1999 and this time everything went smooth except that it hurt to laugh. I had to have a chest tube in for a couple of days but having a rib removed is like having either a broken rib or a bruised rib because it hurt just to move or laugh and even to sneeze. Its now been 6 years since my last surgery and everything is healed but I still experience phantom pains in my chest from time to time. Well this is just a little bit of what I went through when I was younger and hopefully there won't be any more surgeries in the future.

Larissa
Working...
X