Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a newbie....

Hi All...

I've just been scouring the websites lately for my 12 year old son. He was just diagnosed with mild scoliosis. He has a curve in is lower thoracic, upper lumbar measuring barely 6-7 degrees, according to x-rays. He has an appointment with an orthopedic Dr. tomorrow.

Obviously, he'll probably just be observed for awhile. I'm hoping our chances for progression are pretty low since there is no notable family history of scoliosis.

Thanks for listening...I've found all of your posts to be very informative and helpful.
    Donna

Donna, welcome and we are all thankful you found the scoliosis this early. We all wish we had time to campaign for earlier, more accurate checks so people don't end up finding out as late as my daughter did at 45 degree. Keep a check and you should do fine! How did you find his scoliosis, by the way? Kris

Comment

Thanks

Hi Kris and thanks for the welcome.

A degree that slight I never would have been able to find on my own. Our pediatrician recommended my son get an x-ray after his regular yearly exam. He must have a good eye for this sort of thing. Without the Dr.'s keen eye, even if the degree of curvation had been larger, I can't say I would have recognized it right away. But I'll surely keep my eyes open this year.

Our Orthopedic appointment today went well. He feels that my son just needs some observation for the next few years while he's growing. He recommended that I have him X-rayed again in a year.

We have no family history of scoliosis and I believe the Dr. thinks his risk will be lower for progression.
      Donna

Comment

When my now 16 year old son was screened by the school nurse in 7th grade, they reported a "score" of around "7" as well . . . when we went to the orthopaedist, I was surprised to hear him say the curve was 20 degrees. I asked him how it could be so much greater than the 7 degree curve the nurse reported . . .he explained to me that the "measurement" used for screening purposes is different than the "measurement" used by the orthopaedist regarding the curve.

I hope your child's curve is as slight as you describe, but you may want to ask your pediatrician if he was measuring the curve as the ortho would/will or if it is the measurement used for screening purposes. They are two very different numbers.

Comment

Joe's Mom,

I agree with you. Our family doctor found Jamie's Scoliosis and told us he thought it was pretty mild. Of course he didn't measure anything, he was just going by the appearance of her back when she bent over. We left his office and went immediately for x-rays and her main curve was 36*!!! Jamie was diagnosed in August before starting 7th grade when she would have been screened for Scoliosis. I sometimes wish I wouldn't have told the school right away and waited to see if they would have picked it up or not.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Joesmom

Hi Joesmom,

It was an Orthopedic we saw yesterday morning. Our pediatrician was who first diagnosed the scoliosis a couple of months ago, but we've now seen an Orthopedist. After review of the x-rays and examination of his back, he concurs with the radiologists reading. He did tell me that sometimes that does not happen though. I guess several factors can alter a curve degree read.
            Donna

Comment

Hi Donna,
              My daughter was diagnosed at age 11 with a 20 degree curve. She is turning 19 and her curve is under 20. She was watched - initially every six months and the last years we went yearly. It would go up and down everytime she was x-rayed though never past 28 degrees. She just had her FINAL visit with the pediatric orthopedist on Monday as he is very happy with the outcome - and so are we! Hopefully your son will do fine as his curve is so mild and there is no history of it in your family. Take care, LYNN
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Jacque's Mom

Wow, now there is a happy story. I'm very happy for you and your daughter. I didn't realize that curves could actually decrease as well as increase. However, I did read that curve degrees can change depending on how an x-ray is taken and so on and so forth.

This time last week I was so sad and heart-broken at the thought of this happening to my son. And this week, I'm feeling so much better. Thanks for sharing...
                Donna

Comment

Hi Donna

I'm 12 years old too! I was just diagnosed with scoliosis too. I only have a little curve close to the bottom of my spine. My mom is taking me to the doctor soon. Do you reccomend any?

Comment

Hi Suzyjay.....

I live in Illinois, so I don't know any Dr's in New York. Have your mom, check the recommendations on this site for orthopedic Dr.'s.

Good luck with your Dr. visit...and have fun at school this year.
                    Donna

Comment

Hi Donna,

I live in Staten Island, New York. I'll tell my mom about what you said.

Comment

o yeah you already know that I live in New York!

Comment

Working...
                        X