:) out of hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :) out of hospital

Hello everyone. Well, I had my spinal fusion operation on the 25th. After a week long stay in the hospital, and a week of bedrest, I am now able to move around (as best I can). I'm out of pain meds and my appt isn't till friday when I have my staples removed. All 39 of them (as my husband has counted for me). The only downside of the operation was that the doctors accidentaly nicked the dura (the outer casing to the spinal cord) That was one of the contributing factors to my extended time in the hospital. I never in my life want to experience that again. Those headaches you get from the spinal fluid leaking out are excruciatingly painful!

Well, I must get going from here, I'm going to try and get some sleep.

take care everyone!

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Great to see you're back on here

*hugs*

Hope Friday goes well.
    Age 28
    diagnosed at age 12
    wore a boston brace until age 14
    No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
    T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
    L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
    2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
    2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

Glad you're doing well Shelley! It feels great to be up and moving around again doesn't it!

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by HGD24
        Glad you're doing well Shelley! It feels great to be up and moving around again doesn't it!

Keep up the good work!
        Thanks! It does feel alot better being able to move around, even though I'm moving much like a turtle. the only bad thing was when I got stuck on the couch. I couldn't get myself up, I ended up laying on my stomach somehow.

Well, tomorrow is the big day when I get my staples taken out. I hope that goes well. Does anyone here know if that hurts or not? I've never had staples before.

Thanks in advance.
        25 yr old female =^_^=
        Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Shelley, Removing the staples doesn't hurt. You might feel like a little pinch but that's it. I actually had more pain from the staples when they were in my back! Good Luck!
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

update

Well, I had my staples removed on friday. Let me tell you, I NEVER want to do that again! that hurt worse than my tattoo that I have on my lower back. Well, everything is going alright, well, as can be expected. Dr. Starr is very pleased with the results from the surgery. I'm still out of work for another 6 weeks, and only then will the Dr. let me know when I can go back to work. Oh, well.... I don't think I'm missing anything.

Well, time for my meds.

take care
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

I find it bizarre that I didn't have staples to be removed both times I had surgery, as they were melting ones Hmmm, oh well.

Well Shelley, hope you make a speedy recovery Take it easy.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Sweetness...

Could it be that you had disolvable stitches? I don't think there's any such thing as melting staples.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That must be it Linda. I say melting since I don't always know the correct words in English as I am Francophone first My dad also had a small surgery removing a hernia this year and his staples were disolvable as well, so that's why I was wondering why and how come staples still have to be removed like I have read some experiences here

Thanks for clearing the name up for me
                  Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                  Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                  Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

You obviously do a very good job of the English language! I didn't have a clue that English wasn't your first language.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda I'm mostly bilingual but went to French school, as this province(Quebec) is mostly Francophone.

Comment

My surgeon used dissolvable stitches on the inside and closed the outside of the incision with Steri-strips. It was like having a bunch of little band-aids down my back. I was terrified at the thought of having staples put in me, the thought of someone stapling skin just sends me over the edge! Luckily my surgeon never uses staples and always uses the steri-strips. They came off without any trouble and my scars looks great!

Comment

Working...
                        X