Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Resource

Hi...

I've just added a page to my website, addressing the issue of when activities can be resumed after surgery:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Obviously, I couldn't list everything, but if you think it's important to add something, please let me know.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Linda,
    My surgeon does not want me taking Advil or anything containing Ibuprofen for the first year until my fusion takes hold. He mentioned that there have been some reports that it is a bone-growth inhibitor and some people within the medical field that I know have cited hearing and reading similar reports. Is that something that most surgeons are now recommending or is it still too soon in the research to tell?

Comment

Question about mobility

After surgery I realize there are restrictions on movement such as twisting, lifting, bending, etc. Are these things that one's physical condition will not permit? Or does a person have to remember these limits?
      Does this question make sense. I've been told my surgeon does not recommend bracing afterwards.

Thanks,
      CSC
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

I found that for the first couple of months, I never made a mistake about my limits with bending/twisting/lifting etc... because to do so felt really gosh darn awful. However, after about 3 months that was no longer the case and I overdid frequently...
        Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
        Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
        Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
        Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
        February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
        September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Originally posted by csc
          After surgery I realize there are restrictions on movement such as twisting, lifting, bending, etc. Are these things that one's physical condition will not permit? Or does a person have to remember these limits?
          Does this question make sense. I've been told my surgeon does not recommend bracing afterwards.

Thanks,
          CSC
          My surgeon, Dr. Starr, did not recommend a brace for me either. He did not want me to get used to it, and my muscles to become dependent upon it. However, on to the bending lifting twisting. After surgery I've managed to do this quite a few times with very painful results. You can bend, lift, and twist, however I don't recommend them (and it won't be what you're used to pre surgery) ... I'd lean more towards the remembering those limits if you don't want to be in pain. Hope this helps
          25 yr old female =^_^=
          Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
          Lumbar curve 23 degrees
          surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
          Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Thanks for the answers. It does help clarify it. Just one of many questions I'll probably have in the next few months.

CSC
            CSC
            Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
            S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Working...
            X