Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

Hi,

When I was 13 I was diagnosed with scolioses, wore a brace 4 about a year, and then stoped. At 16 I have a visit my doctor and after seeing the x-rays he said that I did not need to do the operation (I know I have a C- Curve but I can't remember the angle) A month ago I decided after about 8 years I decided to have an X-ray and go again to my doctor to check that everything I still fine. When we went to see my doctor he said that my angle was 44 and that he would not suggest surgery at my age and at this angle. He just told me to have another x-ray in 3 years time just to check if the angle of my curve is getting worse. Should I accept his advice or should I try to get another opinion from an other doctor.

Ivan

Hi Ivan...

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely accept the surgeon's recommendation. It's possible that your curve will never increase, and that you'll be able to avoid surgery. If, when you have your curve checked in 3 years, there is a significant increase (at least 5-10 degrees), you should probably seriously consider surgery a that time, as you'll have a reasonably good indication that your curve will continue to increase.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X