After Surgey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Surgey

Hey guys.. I was wondering if anyone could help me out; do you know if all the pain and being uncomfortable will stop after surgery? I was informed that my top curve is now 82 degrees, and the bottom is 70 degrees now... The top curve will be reduced to 50, with the bottom reduced to 20 degrees.. will I be able to lay comfortably after surgery? Also, will I be able to do more things after surgery, like laying down comfortably, and walk some distances without feeling like I'm going to break in half? When I say 'walk', I mean simple things like shopping... now, when I wake up in the morning, I feel like I've been beaten with a club all through the night... basically, how much relief should I expect? Thanks guys.
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

The answer to that question is entirely individual...
    Sometimes the pain is reduced. Sometimes you swap it for another "type" of pain. Sometimes the pain is worse.
    I know four people in real life who have had scoliosis surgery.
    Three people have little to no pain whatsoever, but never had pain before surgery either.
    The fourth has had significant pain since. I'm not sure if they had pain before though.
    I had miserable back pain before my surgery mostly of the muscle fatigue and spasam variety. I only have very minimal pain now, and it's a different sort than I experienced before- I experience more spasaming and less of that generally achey feel, but it's not so bad as before my surgery because it isn't a constant thing.
    Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
    Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
    Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
    Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
    February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
    September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

surgery and pain

Mony:
      At 63, and 6 months out, I still have some pain and take hydrocodone about 3or 4 times a day. Having said this, if you are in your 20's or 30's or 40's, have
      selected a surgeon who has lots of experience, have talked to 4 or 5 of his
      patients , are convinced the hospital the surgeon uses has good stats on
      staph infections, go for it!. If you are young you sill heal quickly and be in
      good shapewithin a year with no pain. The key is surgeon, surgeron,surgeon.
      Your operation is only as good as your surgeon and yours results for staph
      will only be as good as the hospitals reputation. It is crucial to use a surgeon
      about whom you have heard only the best. Where are you located, and how old are you? Kathleen

Comment

question about staph

Kathleen,
        The answer to this might be obvious....
        How does one go about finding out about staph rates in a hospital?
        Thanks,
        csc
        CSC
        Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
        S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

Working...
        X