Pe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pe

I have PE right now and i am always nervous in the locker room. I don't want anyone to see my brace. When people see it they look at me weird and say"What happened to you" i always get embaresed.Does anyone have any tips for the locker room?

Hey

Hey, thats what i always worried about too when gym first started. But if u just like tell them once then thats ok because if u didn't know what it was u would ask too. But after one time they probably will get used to it. SO don't worry about it just be open to questions. u can e-mail me if ya want to @ cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com

-Hannah 13 IN

Comment

my story

Hi. I have had a brace since Oct. and i was really woried about dressing out too. My problem was I had to take offf the brace for pe and i only had one really good friend to put the brace back on afterwards. So, my secret was out to all the girls in my Pe class- i had scoliosis and i have to wear a brace. The first day everyone stared at me and asked me "what is that thing?" So i explained it like 10 times. But a lot of people were in chior practice that day, so the next time i had pe i went through the hole process againe!!! If people give you a hard time about it, just dress out in the bathroom stals if there are some.
      Ill pray for ya,
      Rebecca
      ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
      I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
      I went through 3 Boston Braces
      Original curve~34*
      Curve in 1st Brace~9*
      Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
      Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
      Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

hey, i am really worried about the smae thing, i got my teachers, to let me in the locker rooms 5minutes before everyone else, it is really nice, if u need more tips email me.

~Liz Hanson

Comment

yea i know i tried most of those things now i have over come my fears and dress like everyone else.

when i tried chaning in the stalls when i came out to put my broce in my locker people gave this look

Comment

Hello!
            Pe was always a struggle for me too. I always got changed in the stall and learned to strap it tight enough myself. Then i put it in a athletic bag and stuffed it in my locker. Luckily I had a friend to share a locker with and she knew about my brace. But if I could go back (because that was 2 years ago) I wouldn't hide it. Just act like you dont care! Say "yup I have scolosis and I have to wear a brace!" no biggy right? I know its hard, just have a positive aditude and people won't look at you funny. They might even think its cool!

Luv always,
            Stephanie

Comment

thanks
              do u know thats what my family said

Comment

I know you might be embarassed, but try to make the best of it! Bang on your stomach and say "I have abs of steel!" also, once i jokingly told a friend that i had surgery when i was little and now my stomach was made of wood- she believed me until i told her the truth and she really didn't care!

IM me anyone: shamrockdancer33

Comment

PE

hey i know its been a while since you posted this but i've just joined. I'm 14. Iv'e had scoliosis for a year now and i wear a brace. If people are forward enough to ask me what my brace is i simply say BOB. Because thats what iv'e named it, i know it sounds weird but it works they either shut up orr just keep asking questions which i also find really annoying! I find it's helpful to train your friends to tell people for you then you don't have to say a thing just concentrate on getting changed!
                  Hatty
                  Bored of BOB!
                  Curve 47 degrees and is lower lumber.
                  6-8 months until "bonfire night"

Comment

My daughter (12 yrs old) also went through the same thing in September....She was nervous and upset about it too, at first. The abs of steel joke worked extremely well, only she says "abs of plastic" and knocks loudly on the brace. It did require a few weeks of repeated explanations but after that, everyone just got used to seeing it. After a while, kids don't even "see" the brace at all! This whole brace thing takes a lot of courage, and I applaud you all for dealing with it so well. Remember...you're not alone. Many girls (as you can see from this forum) are going through the same thing. Best wishes.

Terry

Comment

Anyone finds out, tell them ur an undercover secret agent, and that ur wearing a special custom-made bullet proof vest, and that if they tell anyone u would have to kill them.

Cheers
                      Michael

Comment

secret agent

THAT IS A WELL GOOD IDEA! I AM SO GONNA DO THAT!
                        Bored of BOB!
                        Curve 47 degrees and is lower lumber.
                        6-8 months until "bonfire night"

Comment

Actually, my friends have been awesoem about the whole thing. They came up with the Abs of Steel thing for me and now either knock on it or poke it every morning. In my school, we have tons of showers to change into, but i dont use them. When people look or say something, I just pretend like i dont notice. Usually they get the message. If not, a friend of mine usually tells them and then they just go away.
                          K*a*y

Thoraic Lumbar Support Orthosis (TLSO)
                          40 degrees thoraic
                          30 degrees lumbar

Comment

its no big deal!!

haha my friends ALWAYS say that i have abs of steel! for me...my friends have really helped me get thru this. if anybody asks theyre always knock on me n theyre like o she has abs of steel and theyre like no, she just wears a backbrace...no big deal! yeah but about pe...i got my back docter guy to write a note to my pe teacher to let me sit out for the rest of the year for pe. people know i wear a brace n to tell u the truth i dont think they really care! i dont parade it around at all and you cant tell i wear one unless u hit me or sumthing but if sumone asks i juss tell them!! no big deal!

-hadley
                            9th grade
                            TN
                            **~hadley~**

Comment

hee hee

i acctually like my scoliosis who ever has it is special! and wearing a brace is still hard work but u get used to after a few weeks!

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! lol
                              40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Working...
                              X