I'm back, S-Curve Shari

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm back, S-Curve Shari

I had my surgery on May 18th and then again on the 24th. My question is, did anyone still need their pain meds after 8 weeks? I find that I do well walking and laying down, but sitting for any lenghth of time causes me pain. Is this a normal thing? When will the pain go away? I see progress every week, yet there are still many things I can't do. Any info would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks Shari

Shari, When I had my surgery last year I was taking the pain meds for almost a year. From my surgery this June 2nd, I still need to take them 3 to 4 times a day. The pain slowly goes away. There is a possibility that not all of the pain will be completely go away. Have you tried to switch to extra strength Tylenol to see if that is enough. Last year I was able to take the Tylenol (2 of them) every other dose.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Shari,

It all depends on the person in general because after my 1st surgery in 1996 I was put on Tylenol 3 but I was soon taken off of it due to almost getting addicted to it. Even after 9 years I'm still taking something for the discomfort but it has a lot to do with weather change and just my body changing. I still have a hard time sitting in hard chairs for any length of time because my rods go all the way down to my tail bone and that was due to me not having my last lumbar vertebrate. Although I agree laying down always feels good because then you can get in a nap *wink*.

Larissa

Comment

This is all normal as it took me a year or so before I felt more strenght to sit for long periods of time, and exercises such as swimming helped a lot. The fusion takes up to two years before it takes so pain is normal in that period of time.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
        X