Just found out I need surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just found out I need surgery

I'm new here I was told I had scoliosis two years ago and that they wouldn't do anything but keep an eye on it. On wednesday I went for a check up (last one was September) and they told me the curve had gotten a lot worse and because I was still growing it would get much worse. The curve was effecting my discs in some way so they said they need to do the surgery unfortunately though I'm not serious enough to be put at the top of the waiting list and the waiting list is a year. I was just wondering a few things-

1) How long does recovery take?
    2) How bad can the pain get after surgery?
    3) How long would it be before you could start doing physical things like sport etc.?
    4) How often do you need check ups after surgery?

these are the questions I can think of at the moment I'm sure I'll come up with a few more.

Thanks in advance

Well I just had sugery on June.20th so I am still getting used to new things but i will be more than happy to answer your questions the best way I can.

A Full Recovery will range depending on the type of person you are the better shape you are in before sugery you are in will help a lot after your sugery. Anywhere to a Year can be expected for a full recovery.

The Pain can be bad really bad. Everyday and the more you do the better it will get. The worst part of the Pain will be in the recoery room trust me I have ben there and done that.

Sports and Physical things these will be diffrent answers with diffrent Doctors. My Doc told me 10 Months.

Checkup's will also be diffrent with diffrent Doctors. In Most Hosiptols they will check you there and when you leave it will be every week or two for about a Month till which you will be i thinking seeing the doc Monthly. Any other questions ask.
    97 degree Kyphosis is now down to 23. 12 hours and 16 days after being let go of the hospitol it feels so good to be back.

Comment

Hey-
      Its unfortunate you have to wait so long to get in for your surgery..what hospital do you go to?
      like witty said, things differ for each person. With my first two surgeries recovery time took a lot longer due to the complications of surgery and it was about a year when i was able to return to normal activities. I just had a third surgery on June 2nd due to me fracturing three vertebras that were fused in volleyball last fall. I had my 6 week check up last thurseday and everything went well. You can probably expect (depends on your doctor) to be put on a limitation of no bending, twisting, or lifting more than 10 - 15 pounds for however long. For me it was suppose to be 6 weeks but my doctor is extending that limitation longer just because he wants to make sure that I dont have to go in for another operation. I'm 16..close to your age so i assume you'll go through the same.

Not to try to scare you or anything, but the pain is really bad. And recovery room can be the worst, depending. You have no pain meds in you at the time and so your getting the full amount of pain. Once then get you into ICU (well thats atleast where i was put) you'll be all hooked up with pain meds and the nurses do a really good job of being on time with you meds...if not, dont be affraid to push the button to get them in there. Some times they will even get them to you a little earlier if you really need them.

It'll be able a year befor you can probably go back to sports, but take it from someone whos had to go through another surgery because of sports, TAKE IT EASY!! Its not worth the pain. I chose to work my butt off to try and get a starting varsity spot on the Volleyball team and i just ended up injuring myself and now i cant play volleyball my junior year.

Every doctors choices are different, but with my doctor my check ups go like this: 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, and so on every five years.
      hopefully i could help and if you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to write a message to me because i know what your going through.
      18 year old female
      scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
      corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
      After second surgery, fusion was a success.
      Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
      Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Hey Maggie...I can't really answer any of your questions since I haven't had surgery, but I suggest you check out SpineKids.com's forums. There are a LOT of kids on there pre and post surgery. Good luck with everything.

--Kari
        I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

Hi Maggie: My daughter had the operation 3months ago. I can tell you how it's been for her.

Originally posted by Maggie
          1) How long does recovery take?
          Three weeks to feeling pretty ok. Seven weeks to back at school part time. Twelve weeks to back at school full time. Still a little knackered after a full day of school, but nothing dramatic.

2) How bad can the pain get after surgery?
          Pain was not a huge issue after Caitlin's surgery because they are very aggressive here about pain management. She wasn't in agony because she was full to the gills with pain medication. this made her feel sleepy and fuzzy and a little queasy, so it wasn't great, but she wasn't in acute pain. There was, and still is, a fair bit of general soreness and achiness in the muscles of the shoulders, back and hips that are pulled about be the realigment of the spine. This has been managed with Panadol (Tylenol if you'rei n the U.S.), hot water bottles and gentle massage.

3) How long would it be before you could start doing physical things like sport etc.?
          Walking from two days post-op. Swimming and cycling from four weeks post-op. No sport involving major bending or twisting until six months post-op. No heavy contact sports ever.

4) How often do you need check ups after surgery?
          For our surgeon: first x-rays at three months post-op. Assuming things are ok, next check at six months post-op. Then every six months to a year after that until you finisih growing (about three more years for Caitlin) unless anything comes up that needs to be dealt with.

these are the questions I can think of at the moment I'm sure I'll come up with a few more.
          Sure thing. If you'd like to make contact with a lot of girls in your situation, try www.spinekids.com. Very active site for scoli kids.

Cheers - Patricia
          Patricia
          Scoli Mum from New Zealand
          Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
          Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

My daughter had surgery July 18, 2005 at a Shriners Hospital. She came out of surgery into ICU with a pain tube already attached which included Morphene. She spend 5 days in ICU. She did have Posterior, Anterior, and Thoracoplasty, which required deflating and reinflating a lung and removing about 5 ribs. This required a longer surgery and longer recovery than without Thoracoplasty. She and I just walked a mile last night with a wheelchair in tow for a very few breaks for her. She said it hurts to cough and sneeze and her right side where they removed ribs continues to hurt, but as long as she keeps her mind occupied, she is fine. She is quite upset about having to postpone sports, but tries not to think about it. We were told long ago that the pain medicine will still allow her to have pain, but it will diminish it. That took awhile for her to deal with, but it's life and she no longer has the back pain she had from the scoliosis, but has pain from the surgery, ie. the locations of rib removal. Kris

Comment

Working...
            X