Pain In my Back Hurts More when I do Activities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain In my Back Hurts More when I do Activities

Every time I go for a run or play basketball my back becomes sore. This has never happened before and I was just wondering if it's because I out of shape or its just part of having scoliosis? I'm not that out of shape, I've been doing lots of sports and now just lately this pain has came. Please replay back!
    Thank You
    Kendall

It might be a little bit of both.

A good way to avoid backpain in general would be to stretch before sports or exercising.

You might want to check with your doctor too.. just incase there is an injury (ie pulled or torn muscle) and of course to check to see if they think something is happening with your scoliosis.

Good luck
    Last edited by carebear23; 07-24-2005, 08:02 PM.
    Age 28
    diagnosed at age 12
    wore a boston brace until age 14
    No surgery, was on "wait and watch" till recently. Got a SpineCor (Jan 27th) to help ease the pain.
    T-curve 73 degrees with severe rotation (curves to the right)
    L-curve 45 degrees with slightly less severe rotation than my T-curve (curves to the left)

1994 - 5'10" - T-?/L-? (i forget what they really were)
    2006 - 5' 4" - T-56/L-40
    2008/09 - 5' 4" - T-73/L-45

Comment

My 16 year old son with Idiopathic Scoliosis and Scheurmann's Kyphosis (plus a foot deformity in his left foot) plays basketball a lot. He gets lots of aches and pains, I know. I will say that up until he began Physical Therapy about 3 months ago, his back muscles were uneven in strength and tone. Some were way too loose; some were way too tight. His arms and chest were strong, but his back was weak. I am sure that muscular imbalance contributed to movement patterns which stressed his back and caused greater discomfort for him. He has always been active, but in and of itself that did not address the imbalance in the muscles surrounding his spine. PT has done that for him and there is much less imbalance in strength and tone now. I am sure he still has aches and pains from basketball (they play a pretty intense game!) but I think it is less than before. If you haven't been evaluated by a PT for muscle tone and strength of the back muscles, please do so. I think you can go to a PT now without having to have a doctor's order, but your insurance may still require a referral.

Comment

Hi all,
        I have to agree entirely with Joe's Mom. I am an absolute basketball addict. Before I started doing physical therapy, I was literally stepping off the court with a migraine (due to the way my back muscles were unbalanced). I've kept playing as I've gone through therapy, and everything is slowly but surely improving. No post-game headaches anymore, which is glorious.
        Ta,
        Martin Hughes

Comment

That could be because your back isn't aligned properly and some muscles get more than their fair share of work. I recently started physical therapy for my back pain while playing tennis, sitting/standing for a long time, etc. (Recently as in just this morning .) Maybe you can ask your doctor about PT?
          I'm Karin. I had surgery for my scoliosis on October 13, 2005, and am doing well! I formerly wore a providence brace and did PT for treatment.

Comment

Working...
          X