View Full Version : Surgery for Adult

07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
I will be 43 year old and I have double scoloisis. I was told one of my curves is over 40 and the other is over 30, but he would not recommend me to see :confused: a surgeon.. yet. I also have pain in my back and hip. Should I get second opinion?

Staten Island

07-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Yes, absolutely get a second opinion from an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in scoliosis. Your doctor may be thinking that since your curves are not at the typical threshold above which most surgeons will operate (usually 50 degrees) you're not a candidate for surgery. However, if you're in pain that is directly caused by your curvature, you may be a candidate for surgery nonetheless. Moreover, it's possible you have another medical condition (herniated disc, pinched nerve, etc.) that may be causing your pain, which may or may not be related to your scoliosis.


07-26-2005, 01:19 AM

I have curves of 60 and 45 and have seen 3 surgeons and to date haven't found one who would do anything about it. I would get another opinion as 10 years ago mine were 37 and 25 and look where I am now almost double , pain 24/7 and no options left at this point in time other than to take my pain meds and deal with it.

Good luck